Need advice
Hey, I'm trying to put together a decent HTPC for my parents and was looking for advice on hardware. I already have a 3tb hard drive, and 600watt antec psu, but I only have $300 to spend on the rest. Anyone able to help me out here? Would really appreciate it.
well without knowing what you intend to do with the HTPC, it's hard to know the best way to allocate the rest of your funds
Oh sorry, I'm very new to this. I just want this system to be able to play 1080p content, 3d would be nice, but not necessary. It would also be nice if it could be upgraded for some gaming at a later date.
Will they be using the upgraded system for gaming or will you? What games would be played on that system later on? That will determine which path we recommend that you should take. There are several solutions from under $100 to $300 that may cover you and your parents needs. Without a solid vision as to the system's usecases, we can't you much.
Sorry it took so long to reply, school has kept me busy. It will be my dad playing games, he plays minecraft, battlefield and a few other shooters, but minecraft mostly.
Depending on which Battlefield, a 300 USD PC won't really cut it I'm afraid.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Minecraft (Pocket Edition) for Android leaves a lot to be desired if you've been playing it on the PC.
You can forget about Battlefield and Minecraft for now. You could also go for an Android STB as Jocelyn suggests, or even a CuBox-i or HummingBoard from SolidRun. These are all ARM based and will cost you ~1/3 to ~1/2 of your budget. Later on, you can build a proper HTPC/Gaming computer for your parents. The cost of every x86 based configuration I could come up with will run you nearly your entire budget. It takes approx. $500 for a budget gaming machine; more if you want better performance, lower temperatures/power consumption, or less noise.

EDIT: Upon further research, I've found something that may work. How big are you willing to go with the system?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice0