Linux XBMC Hangs when stopping video
This is probably similar to Linux - VAAPI causes freeze on stop only on 12.3 - OpenSUSE and Arch, however, I'm not using the VAAPI, and I'm seeing this issue on 13.1.

My initial post at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1750929, might have further information, but here is a summary.

I'm running Arch linux with an NVIDIA card.

1. Everything runs fine, playing movies, youtube, etc.. until I either manually stop, or until the movie gets to the end. This does not happen all the time. Sometimes youtube streams and movies stop just fine, other times, they freeze XBMC, but only ever when stopping. Now, XBMC itself is not completely frozen, as I can still use "i" to get information about the playing stream, I can "tab" and "esc" to navigate around XBMC, however, if I try to start another movie or stream, then XBMC will lockup completely.

There are only two ways I've found to get out of this "Freeze".
1. Restart XBMC service using systemctl.
2. Attach a GDB debugger to the xbmc.bin process with
Code:
gdb -p <pid>
, and then do nothing more than quit straight out of the debugger. This is enough to "unlock" everything, and have things continue as normal without needing a restart.

I have seen this issue using both the default PKGBUILD on arch, which I believe patches to use an external ffmpeg, however, I've also rebuilt using the 13.1 sources, with no external patches, with a configure of
Code:
./configure --disable-debug
, and this version also has the same problem.

The concerning thing for me, is how GDB can seemingly magically fix the issue, which means it's unlikely to happen whilst running with GDB attached. I've seen similar issues with io threads in unrelated applications.

I'm competent enough to help debug this, or provide whatever information anyone requires to help track this down. I just have no idea where to start, as I'm quite unfamiliar with XBMC programming.

Thanks for any help!
A followup, the lockups only seem to happen on the Second or later playbacks. The first video/stream to get played after a restart, does not hang, however all later ones do.
I have fixed this yesterday: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1759718

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Hangs when stopping video0