Win Gotham - fixed spdif passthrough with tweaked USB spdif (chip C-Media CM108)
Hello fellow XBMC users and developers.

I've been using for 2 years a cheap usb soundcard with optical out to enable spdif passthrough with XBMC on my laptop ("Terratec Aureon Dual USB")

The spdif passthrough on the card was enabled thanks to a workaround in windows 7 (using generic drivers for the chip instead of drivers provided with the card, limited to stereo output), and it worked well, up to Frodo 12.3 (it works with other players as well : VLC and foobar2000)
The driver workaround :
http://www.ac3filter.net/forum/index.php?topic=900
More details (French) http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/WindowsSoft...m#t3043526

I was very sad that spdif passthrough wasn't working anymore, with all versions of Gotham (from the betas to 13.1, to 13.2b2) :
the stream received by my amp was always stereo, instead of DD/AC3 or DTS, even when the video contained a genuine AC3 or DTS track (and while the same video files were working well with 12.3)

After numerous attempts and finally reading the FAQ, I tried to tweak the SPDIF port properties in Win's "playback peripherals" (right click on sound speaker in Win's notification bar), and found what to change :

In the "advanced statistics", the default format selected was "2 channels, 16 bits, 44100 Hz (CD quality)", I changed it to "2 channels, 16 bits, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)"

And after restarting XBMC Gotham, spdif passthrough was finally working as with previous versions !

Hope this will be of help to some people with the same kind of usb spdif hardware...

TL,DR :
  • Generic USB SPDIF with C-Media chipset CM108 (using driver workaround to enable passthrough, working up to XBMC 12.3)
  • Passthrough broken with Gotham
  • In win's playback peripherals, opened spdif port properties and "advanced statistics"
  • Changed "default format" to "2 channels, 16 bits, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)"
  • Restarted XBMC
  • Passthrough Ok !

best regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - fixed spdif passthrough with tweaked USB spdif (chip C-Media CM108)0