Shared Database on NAS
Hi,

I have multiple XBMC installations in my home and would like to centralize my library/database to my QNAP NAS. Could someone point me in the direction of a current guide for this process while using Gotham? Everything that I have found is related to an older version.

Regards...
If you have your NAS running, you have to specify which protocoll you will use to access your NAS. If you use linux (what I presume, as you writing in the linux forum) I would prefere NFS.

You have to create some (NFS) shares on your NAS, which have to be added as a source in your clients. after this, everything will work like you have lokal files. If the source is added, you have to specify what kind of data does the source contain and how to you like to scrape it. That´s all. Gotham will mount the sources at every boot automatically. So you don´t have to think about that.

You can also use a MySQL database, but for this I can´t help.
First, you have to get MySQL running on your NAS. Once its installed and running ( I know some NAS drives already have MySQL installed & manageable from their UI's) then following the wiki walkthrough should get you set up.

Points to note.
  • Your NAS needs a static IP address so that all clients know where to look for the shared db's.
  • ALL your clients need to be running the same version of XBMC.
  • All your paths to your media MUST be added as network shares (SMB or NFS)
  • NFS is lighter than SMB but you need to get the access permissions right.

You don't need to use advancedsettings to share your sources.xml via path substitution unless you wish to be able to edit your library from any client (I do this on purpose so my kids can't mess things up!!)

You can share your favourites via this method though, so all clients have the same favourites.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks guys...

I already have everything shared from my NAS via NFS with a static IP. It was a bit tricky to set up, but now it works great.

The MySQL walkthrough was what I was looking for. I will start with that and let you know how it goes. I also have kids and will probably follow your advice about the sources.xml file.
Of You only want to keep seen/unseen synchronized among multiple installation you could use trakt plugin.
I'd use MySQL db only to avoid multiple fan art and metadata download and storage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared Database on NAS0