Req How long can XBMC ignore Chromecast ?
ive been trying to cast kodi from my laptop for some time now but all in vain .my solution is to just put a hdmi from lap top to tv and use a wireless mouse and keyboard .problem solved
Yes, that is the correct kodi usage!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So far, it looks like the answer is 2 years!
Kodi is great, and I can see it fits the HTPC role very nicely. You can build your own or buy one of the myriad of clients out there. However, with the advance in technology (no offence) we always have our phones and they can do so much, why not use them? And Chromecast just leverages that by allowing you to flick to that big screen that doesn't need to do anything but play video and audio (smart tv's are just frustrating).

I haven't found an Android app that can do what Kodi does but leverages the mobile/casting model. I've just got way too many apps that do 1 or 2 things well, but not all things.

Now, I don't want to sound ungrateful, I really appreciate all the time the devs put into these open source apps, where would we be without them! Maybe I'm one of the few that wants to do something that you're no supposed to do? I just want to watch streaming services, my personal media library and OTA recordings on my TV in a simple and easy to use way. Yes, an HTPC could do this but there are reasons I didn't want to do that again. I was hoping to use mobile devices with casting, but it appears all these things don't come easily yet....

My $0.02, thanks for listening.
You can cast YouTube from android device to kodi with kore or yatse.

You cannot use chromecast from kodi BECAUSE GOOGLE DO NOT OPEN THE PROTOCOL. Do not blame the kodi devs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't know if it has anything to do with the protocol being open or closed. It's just that Kodi doesn't work the way other android players do. Chromecast wants a URL to playback the video using the player inside the Chromecast. Using the external player feature, you can do this with some video sources, but not all. Chromecast doesn't handle as many formats as Kodi, nor does Kodi always have a Chromecast-valid URL.

So even if someone wanted to do this, it wouldn't always work. There is very little motivation in that kind of situation.
Shucks, the frankenstein approach continues for me then...

I read an article for adding a playercorefactory.xml with LocalCast to do it, but it didn't seem to work for me. I guess the other problem with that approach would be what if you want to watch teh content locally then you'd have to modify the file again? If adding Chromecast support is in the too hard basket, what about an easy way to choose an external player (like LocalCast) when you want to cast to the Chromecast?
Any player in playercorefactory will appear in the menu when you use 'play using'.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How long can XBMC ignore Chromecast ?0