Req How long can XBMC ignore Chromecast ?
Thing is sending content via upnp isn't the same as casting. For one, some apps don't support sending over upnp. Example, songza. Now there is a way to have all audio captured and sent via upnp from any app but it just doesn't work correctly. Also it's kind of a hack and requires root access. Casting songza to a CC works flawlessly. Another difference is the easy in which to send content. Casting is built into apps that support it, just hit the cast button. Sending via upnp is a lot longer and less intuitive process.

At the end of the day all I would like is the same functionally ios users get with airplay. Android should play just as well with xbmc and it does surprise me a little that ios seems to get a little better support. (the ios remote is another example)
Sending via UPnP is just as easy when application developers choose to support it. There's half a dozen different casting "standards" out there now, and I'm sure anyone can make the same argument you did when they have apps that support one standard vs another.

AirPlay support hasn't been stable in a long time, and we're not even sure if it will work 100% for iOS 8 (with XBMC/Kodi as a target, that is). It's come very close to being dropped/given up on, because the way Apple does stuff is a major PITA for our AirPlay dev (who works on a ton of other parts of XBMC/Kodi).

In any case, it still comes down to someone being willing and wanting to do the work to add such support. We have no objection to the feature.
(2014-10-12, 09:08)lrusak Wrote:
(2014-10-12, 08:30)nickr Wrote:
(2014-10-12, 07:23)andreig1978 Wrote: Check out Throw.
It's good old upnp and you can "cast" to XBMC as you're supposed to, not the other way around Big Grin
It's quite satisfying to throw a YouTube video to your TV screen.

Googling isn't helping me find that?

Some Sony proprietary thing

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/01/...w-feature/
You can of course dismiss something as bad, just because it's "some Sony proprietary thing" but you can also be a little more open about it.
To be honest I didn't even know it was Sony's name for pushing content to DLNA players. This being said I appreciate it even more now, as I like seeing one of the big players using existing standards which alow me to push content to XBMC instead of proprietary ones to push only to their latest "smart" TV.
I personally like Sony products but I'm not trying in any way to advertise them here.
Just my two cents.
No I think people like Sony can be a little more open about it frankly...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-12, 20:58)nickr Wrote: No I think people like Sony can be a little more open about it frankly...
I'm not sure what you mean. The marketing name of the function (hiding what it does behind a new "cool" name)? The fact that they implement it only on their phones and not as an app?
The latter.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-13, 07:19)nickr Wrote: The latter.
Sharing openly doesn't sell stuff Big Grin
And you have to admit that for the vast majority of users, "device that can throw content to your TV" sells the device while "device on which you can install a free app that can do upnp streaming" doesn't.
(2014-07-29, 00:49)uNiversal Wrote: Hoverboards and google glass are different technologies, but, if you loan me a delorean capable of time travel I can guarantee you it will be done like last week.

Time for a sing along...

Dear Science --->>> by Seth Sentry

Great Song !!

I was using KODI with my old Dual Core desktop system. I bought a Chromecast and seems cool at first sight, but then I realized that it is very limited Chromecast can´t play high bitrates movies or Full HD 60 fps download movies.

I will stick with my Dual Core Desktop system with KODI and put Chromecast in my Bedroom TV because I had realized that this Google stick is just for casual use.
I wonder if this is worth discussing for the new Chromecast Audio. I think it would be a compelling KODI feature to be able to cast music to one of these. It would be a very economical way to have multi-room audio.

For example, I have a CCA in my garage connected to an old (but good) stereo amp. I might also do similar for some outdoor speakers. Being able to cast and control volume from KODI would be quite awesome as the existing app GUIs have much to be desired.

Transcoding should not be needed as the CCA it handles a good variety of file formats & high sample rate audio.

FYI, Google is supposedly working on multi--room sync, but I'll see it when I believe it.
Honestly I think noone would block a PR with chromecast support, heck I'd love to have it myself as I have both chromecast and kodi in my TV.

In short what is missing for us to be a sender is that there exist no library we could use so we could get it on all platforms. Sure, we could possibly get it supported in Android and perhaps even iOS, but thats not all platforms.

And what I think most want, is for us to be a receiver, we lack the library and a web browser in Kodi. The web browser part is the absolute biggest hurdle, until that is resolved its a bit of pointless to discuss.
Sidenote, I haven't checked out the Chromecast Audio, however I'm fairly positive it still needs a browser, I would guess that it mostly doesn't show the output of it Smile

I've looked at the specs I could find and without webbrowser I think at most what could be achieved is stuff we already have plugins for, i.e. you'd not get any new content, just a new way of getting it on the TV. And it would be a complete hack and not at all what people expect from Chromecast integration Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Feature Request för chromecast
I have a Samsung galaxy note 3 where I have kodi on I have downloaded moliplayer , avia, bubleupnp , es file explorer , y2 cast but cant cast it to my chromecast any help would be appreciated
(2015-11-25, 22:21)Findus Wrote: Feature Request för chromecast
Not related to kodi.
(2016-01-07, 00:50)Brooklyn417 Wrote: I have a Samsung galaxy note 3 where I have kodi on I have downloaded moliplayer , avia, bubleupnp , es file explorer , y2 cast but cant cast it to my chromecast any help would be appreciated
Well, I have figured out how to play music from the library on Chromecast Audio. Simply open the Chorus web interface in a Chrome Browser, choose to play local on Chorus, and choose to cast via the browser. I know this is by no means integration, but it solves the key desire for me, which is to browse my KODI music library & playlists and play on Chromecast Audio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How long can XBMC ignore Chromecast ?0