[feature request] xbmc virtual theater integration
(2014-07-31, 16:26)black_eagle Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 16:10)bbennett22 Wrote: you strap the phone to your face

If it wasn't for the fact you appear to be serious, I'd probably have laughed even harder !! I did not spend upwards of £2000 on a top of the range plasma, and another £1000 on a sound system to go with it, to then strap a phone to my face so that I can pretend I'm in a theatre.

If I want to go watch something on a very big screen, then I will do just that, but people walking around, munching, talking & swilling fizzy drinks usually is enough to make me want to stay at home. My sofa is much comfier too Wink

Phone strapped to face - RoflRofl

See - THIS is what I've always contended to be the only real-life practical use for Full HD 5" or smaller screens. Strapping it directly on your face. Because that is about as close as you have to be, to have any chance at noticing a resolution difference 720p vs 1080p when viewing video.

To be fair, computer graphics like fonts, game graphics and such though - can benifit more from the high resolution / "moderate" screen size.

(2014-08-04, 14:43)bbennett22 Wrote: Calibos you rock!!! Thanks for writing up such a bad ass retort! I've been in contact with the creators of each of the vr cinema apps for android. They all said they would look into it, but theyve never heard of xbmc. On another note, I watched a video on my friends lg g3.... That screen is already perfect for vr cinema!
Did you ask if they've heard of Kodi then..?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-08-04, 13:47)calibos Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 16:26)black_eagle Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 16:10)bbennett22 Wrote: you strap the phone to your face

If it wasn't for the fact you appear to be serious, I'd probably have laughed even harder !! I did not spend upwards of £2000 on a top of the range plasma, and another £1000 on a sound system to go with it, to then strap a phone to my face so that I can pretend I'm in a theatre.

If I want to go watch something on a very big screen, then I will do just that, but people walking around, munching, talking & swilling fizzy drinks usually is enough to make me want to stay at home. My sofa is much comfier too Wink

Phone strapped to face - RoflRofl

Let's put it this way:

I currently have 3 ways to watch a movie in my home.

On my 23" 1080p monitor 36" inches from my face in my bedroom
On my 40" 1080p Flatscreen TV about 6' from an armchair.
On my 92" 1080p projector and screen about 12' from the couch.

All provide me with roughly the same angular FOV. That is to say, all 3 sizes of screen fill the same amount of my field of vision.

Putting aside sound, why then am I least impressed with the visual impact of a movie on my monitor and most impressed by the visual impact from my projector??

It turns put that it's less to do with angular FOV and more to do with the sense of scale of things/viewing environment.

In VR Cinema assuming I pick the best seat in the house, the angular FOV from my virtual centre isle centre row seat 200' back from the 100' virtual screen will be roughly the same as from my 23" monitor 36" away, 49" TV 6' away and 92" projector screen 12' away. However in the virtual cinema, I look all around me and see 50 rows of seats in every direction. I look up at the auditorium ceiling 40' over my head. I look behind me and see the projector lamp flickering at the back of the auditorium. I move seats and pick a seat nearer the front. The screen towers over me and I have to shift my gaze around to take in the huge screen.

I get to sit on my comfy couch without any of the hassles of going to real cinema that we all complain about and yet I get to experience the movie and the sense of scale to the proceedings as if I were in a real cinema which as I have explained is worlds apart from watching the movie on my $2000 TV or Projector.

What I also get is zero crosstalk 3D movies, zero dim 3D movies, inky black levels and uber contrast (OLED display) attainable neither at home on a Home PJ or in a real cinema itself. I also don't need to dedicate a room to a Home Theater, nor set up my PJ and screen to use in a non dedicated room. I don't have to change room decor to maximise contrast, optimise furniture arrangement to suit a projector and screen over aesthetic considerations. I don't have to fit heavy drapes and close them to watch a movie on the big screen during the day. All I have to do is have the little rift tracking camera nearly hidden away between my front speakers to lock the virtual IMAX screen between my real life speakers.

I decide to have a Batman Movie session. Instead of using the regular cinema auditorium theme, I load up the bat cave auditorium. There's a full size Tumbler batmobile on the stage under the screen. I look around me and am surrounded by fellow viewer avatars in superhero cosplay costumes.

Next I decide to watch the great Gatsby. I load up the luxurious 20's ArtDeco auditorium and my fellow viewers are all wearing roaring twenties style clothes.

Feeling like a bit of mindless B-movie schlock after that. I load up the Drive-In cinema theme and park up my virtual car and watch the sun set as the movie begins.

When we get a 4k Rift which will be needed to do movies in the rift justice with CV2 most likely, VR Cinema will be the killer app that popularises VR to the masses. Oculus obviously think so too. They hired the creator of the VR Cinema app.

Even if you kitted out the whole family with Rifts it would still cost less than a Plasma or Projector. They're going to be about $300 each. Worth the price for VR cinema alone never mind the myriad of other amazing uses they'll have (gaming, education, sightseeing etc etc)

For someone laughing at the thought of the visuals from a 'phone strapped to your face', you are merely showing a lack of 'Vision'. Big Grin

Quote:If I want to go watch something on a very big screen, then I will do just that, but people walking around, munching, talking & swilling fizzy drinks usually is enough to make me want to stay at home. My sofa is much comfier too

Like you and I, the guy in this video also hates the downsides of a real cinema but understands how with VR Cinema he gets to have his cake and eat it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvaEvzNMK-o

I just wet myself with anticipation Nod
I must have misunderstood here. I got the impression earlier that we were actually talking about strapping a 5" Smartphone to a face, for cinema eperience. Oculus Rift is a whole nother ballgame - of which I have much hope and desire for Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
i was talking about strapping a 5" smartphone to your face.... I do it with my nexus 5. the new rift dk2 uses a note3 for its screen. for games, you definitely want a rift, but for sitting in watching a movie in a virtual theater, I think a phone will quickly be the way to go. making a 3d cinema is not that difficult for a phone to handle, and like I've already posted, they have apps out there right now that do a pretty good job.

The main advantage of smartphones is screen resolution. The note 3 was out for almost a year before it was incorporated into the rift. Its already an inferior screen as the note 4 is coming out in a month, and the lg g3 already has a better screen. Resolution is critical for these apps. A movie in the virtual cinema looks much better on the g3 than it does on a note3, which means smartphones again have an advantage in this area. Granted the theater is not as epic as the rift ones, but I think that will come with time. In the mean time, the low light theater definitely gives you the feel of being in a large movie theater. Just need someone with the knowhow to integrate xvmc support into the apps and we will be golden!

But with that said, I cannot freaking wait for the rift!!
I'm new here, but i'm seriously thinking about implementing/help in implementing VR in XBMC.
been using XBMC for a while and i'm thinking this will be my first open source adventure.
can anyone point me in the right direction?

was thinking about just transferring the interface and movie to a 3d plane of sorts to start with, so you can look around, and mixing the sound to follow the head movement (headphones).
my recommendation would be to go here: http://www.durovis.com/board/viewtopic.p...6&start=90 and either private message ProsperGames or just post a message on the forum. They made the cmoar virtual cinema app (check it out in the google play store). It is an awesome theater app. They have been very willing to listen to the community and make updates to give users what they want. They told me they'd look into xbmc integration but they didn't know what xbmc was.

Additionally you could look up the few virtual cinema programs that utilize the oculus rift and ask them if you could help in implementing xbmc into their programs. I think the virtual cinema's are the way to go for xbmc and adding in support to an already made virtual cinema is probably a lot easier than creating everything from scratch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[feature request] xbmc virtual theater integration0