Ubuntu 14.04 XBMC 13.2 beta 2 polkit issue
Hi,

I have two Ubuntu 14.04 based systems. One is a vanilla Ubuntu 14.04, and the other is an Edubuntu 14.04 derivitate. I have installed the 13.2 beta2 release of xbmc onto both machines. What I am currently finding very confusing is the Shutdown menu on one system (the edubuntu one) is not reflecting any of my polkit changes to disable Shutdown / Restart / Suspend actions.

On my vanilla 14.04 the policy kit changes are reflected in the menus.

I have verified that the policies do actually apply to the xbmc instance on the edubuntu machine via pkcheck.

root@Thomas-Laptop:/home/jasonpell# ps -ef | grep xbmc
jasonpe+ 3753 2435 0 22:17 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/xbmc
jasonpe+ 3765 3753 25 22:17 ? 00:00:07 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
root 3939 3927 0 22:17 pts/1 00:00:00 grep --color=auto xbmc

pkcheck --process 3753 --action-id org.freedesktop.login1.power-off
Not authorized.

pkcheck --process 3753 --action-id org.freedesktop.login1.power-off-multiple-sessions
Not authorized.

So you can see that the power off action is not accessible to the xbmc session, whereas the reboot is:

pkcheck --process 3753 --action-id org.freedesktop.login1.reboot

But I can still see Shutdown in the menu, and can execute it.

On my other ubuntu machine with exactly the same xbmc version and the same policies applied I can't see
the Shutdown option (the Restart one remains)

I am confused as to why this would be and would appreciate any advice. I suspect that there is a permission issue
with accessing the polkit service to check permissions from xbmc? But I have enabled debug logging and cannot see any thing interesting.

I managed to resolve the issue myself. I was looking in the power management source code for XBMC and noticed references to console kit. I checked and the Edubuntu laptop has console kit installed (not sure why), whereas my vanilla Ubuntu does not.

I installed consolekit onto my ubuntu machine and xbmc started exhibiting the same misbehaviour. So it seems that having console kit installed makes xbmc ignore the polkit stuff.

I now need to either figure out how to remove polkit without breaking my sons laptop or see if there is a way to configure these policies with console kit.
As soon as I disabled ConsoleKit using the instructions from:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/237005/ho...untu-12-10

The shutdown menu started to exhibit the behaviour I was after.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 14.04 XBMC 13.2 beta 2 polkit issue0