The quest for the perfect setup: Shared library on NAS hard disk
Hi hello there..

I've spent since the weekend trying to change my setup at home, reading through many posts - not all agreeing with each other .. I am not happy with my computer as media server, currently plugged into the TV, as it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I also recently acquired a chromecast. I am hoping to setup my XBMC library and clients so I can watch and listen to my things on my tv or tablet or phone.

Here are my devices:
  • TV - not smart, but HD with HDMI
  • Chromecast, in HDMI slot of TV
  • 1 Tablet (Android 4.4)
  • 2 Android phones (4.2 & 4.4)
  • Laptop (sounds like Vacuum cleaner): that I'd like to retire or at least put far away from TV

My dream scenario: I switch on any of the tablet or phones (or computer) and am able to either reproduce my library on my device or TV. Videos I'd like to reproduce with subtitles, always.

It seems like it is a lot to wish for, so I thought maybe somebody savvy could help out on getting close at least :-))

Things I'd like to avoid, ordered by priority:
  • Independent libraries - The library should be shared. If possible as files on the hard disk where the movies are, thus I could kick out the laptop as server
  • Transcoding problems (thinking of chromecast)
  • No subtitles

I have tried to move the Database folder to the NAS hard disk, but XBMC did not pick up on it. Does a shared database need to be mysql? or is there a static alternative so there is no need of a server?

Anyways, I'd welcome any hints and help on my quest to the perfect setup Smile Smile
Have you looked into media browser 3 rather than xbmc... it sounds like exactly what you're after
http://mediabrowser.tv
They have a addon and modified skins for xbmc too that allows you to use their server as your xbmc library.
It supports Chromecast and dlna and has dedicated mobile apps for Android. Ios and Windows phones.

I made the switch a few months ago and they have improve leaps and bounds since then. .. I still use xbmc as my frontend on all my devices at home with the xbmb3c addon and compatible skin... (You can download a repo from their site that contains the addon and a bunch of modified skins)
And I can seemlessly cast from the mobile app to any screen... or stop a show on xbmc and seemlessly continue on my mobile

Btw it is also free and open source software(tho the developer of the android app charges a few dollar's for the app)
I'd look into Plex (if you're set on using the Chromecast on the TV vs. a real HTPC).
(2014-07-24, 15:28)live4ever Wrote: I'd look into Plex (if you're set on using the Chromecast on the TV vs. a real HTPC).

Media browser does Chromecast too
This is more or less my setup, but with one big difference: I have a server running that hosts the mysql library database. With some research, you should be able to: install the proper version of mysql on your nas, create the tables for xbmc, and then create advancedsettings.xml files in each of your clients. It's actually a lot easier than you'd think (some people even host the database on their routers running dd-wrt).
Thanks for your answers guys!

Vidman, I did not know media browser, looks actually quite nice as well. I read a bit through the net, and if I understand correctly, the xbmc-plugin allows to add the media browser as a source? in this case, who does the scraping: xbmc, media browser or both?

live4ever Thanks I already had a look at plex

I thinkg both media-server and plex need a running server, as also isamudaison mentions. I guess this will have to be the solution. But the "perfect" setup has the database stored on the network hard disk itself and can be read by any device. isamudaison, are you suggesting that it is possible that I can have mysql "stored" centrally on the network harddisk without running a mysql server there?
(2014-07-26, 10:54)donmiguel Wrote: Thanks for your answers guys!

Vidman, I did not know media browser, looks actually quite nice as well. I read a bit through the net, and if I understand correctly, the xbmc-plugin allows to add the media browser as a source? in this case, who does the scraping: xbmc, media browser or both?

live4ever Thanks I already had a look at plex

I thinkg both media-server and plex need a running server, as also isamudaison mentions. I guess this will have to be the solution. But the "perfect" setup has the database stored on the network hard disk itself and can be read by any device. isamudaison, are you suggesting that it is possible that I can have mysql "stored" centrally on the network harddisk without running a mysql server there?

The plugin connects to mb3 server and allows you to browse and access it's content.... It does not add to xbmcs native library which is why you would want to use a modded skin that aims to replace the home screen menu items to directly access mb3s library instead... The plugins uses metadata from the mb3 server which has IMHO a great metadata scraper/editor...Andit is also compatible with xbmcs metadata nfos etc

Edit: see here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.p...ng-Started

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The quest for the perfect setup: Shared library on NAS hard disk0