Req Gapless Playback - Buffer next part of the movie
Hi guys,
since I am recording a lot of movies lately I had to deal with different parts.
I am streaming the videos from a NAS with gigabit LAN, normaly I don't have buffering times at all.
But when a video has multiple parts, XBMC only seems to buffer inside the actual part. That means, when the next part starts, the screen turns black, he loads the new file and buffers for about 5 seconds.
If the movie is pre buffered a lot, the hdd has to go up from sleep again, then it takes about 10 seconds.
This is very bad for the overall cinema experience in my opinion.
It would be great if you could widen the buffering to the next part as well, for a gapless playback Smile
Is that possible?

Best regards,
OuyaXBMC
Started with a XBMC on a ouya and a raspberry pi, now has a High-End HTPC with 100 LED Ambilight and describes himself as a Home-Cinema enthusiast.
Why are you recording them in parts?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Edit: this is an old story for Mac users. The only compatible file system with Windows is Fat32 (NTFS is read only) and Fat32 can only save files up to 4GB.
This is why I split them every 3,9 GB
Started with a XBMC on a ouya and a raspberry pi, now has a High-End HTPC with 100 LED Ambilight and describes himself as a Home-Cinema enthusiast.
boy, there are NTFS drivers for MAC around that enable write support AFAIK (googled once because a friend complained he couldn't write to my external NTFS disc). Not a mac user myself though. Also you could use extFAT which works well with Windows7+ and Mac, but if you use it for a portable disc like me did (big mistake because I listened to my friend using Mac and he suggested that crap because he was to lazy to install NTFS drivers), extFAT is NOT compatible with most TVs or a FritzBox etc.

Also, if you store the files on a NAS and access it via SMB/NFS, the file system doesn't matter.
The files are stored on a external HDD, integrated into the Lan with a NAS. However, I like to take the files with me sometimes.
This should not be a discussion weather my setup is perfect or not. Simply accept that I informed myself enough to see that there is no perfect file system for the use with Linux, Windows and os x.
Independent from that I think there are more reasons to have a movie in multiple parts, and the feature request should be legitimate and not only affect a hand full of users.
Then inform yourself by searching the forum for an answer as well Wink IIRC this has already been asked. I at least think I remember that elupus said that this is not easy to do - especially not on embedded devices which we also support. Could have been a slightly different request though, but please give a search a try.
Well, I know that this is not possible at the moment, but this is why I was showing interest in that feature by posting it here in the request sub forum.
I think most of the implementations that are done at the moment aren't easy to do, it's just a matter of how much interest is in one feature. And I think that gapless playback should be a core functionality of a big media center like xbmc.

Greets
This is a solution looking for a problem, there is no need these days to use a filesystem that restricts you to 4G. There is no reason to split a video over more than one file.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Mac user all my life here, and I often go out of my way to use NTFS on my Mac. *shrug*

Still, I think there is merit to this request. Mainly because I assume that this work would also make it possible for XBMC to pre-cache the next item in a playlist. I'd love to see that. Whatever the reason for splitting videos, it would still be desirable to pre-cache in this situation, rather than only cache the currently playing file.
Yeah uselful but I think there are things that demand attention more than this!

Split files are a relic of everyone encoding to match CD sizes, so you'd get a movie split onto two 700MB avis.

Surely those days are over (please let them be). The few videos I had like this I joined to make one big file ages ago. It's far easier to get into the library like that, and no pause mid movie.

I've never used cinema experience - does it have a gap between trailers and the main movie?
All my VDR recordings are split into 2GB files and play without any issues via VNSI. DVDs also split the video files and they play without buffering. Those two methods have a definition what files belong together.
IMO it makes no sense to define a new method of how to split files into some kind of new container. Instead use recorders like VDR or make an ISO out of your recordings.
I use yavdr. It combines both, vdr and xbmc and let's you switch between the two applications.
I often get 2 parts out of onlinetvrecorder as well. For the ones who don't know it, it's a Web service that let's you record and cut TV shows and TV movies automatically.
(2014-07-25, 01:24)nickr Wrote: Yeah uselful but I think there are things that demand attention more than this!

Split files are a relic of everyone encoding to match CD sizes, so you'd get a movie split onto two 700MB avis.

Surely those days are over (please let them be). The few videos I had like this I joined to make one big file ages ago. It's far easier to get into the library like that, and no pause mid movie.

I've never used cinema experience - does it have a gap between trailers and the main movie?

Yes, but my point is it could also apply to playlists. If it helps the relic out at the same time then that would just be a happy side effect.
Yes of course you're right. I never use video playlists so that didn't occur to me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gapless Playback - Buffer next part of the movie0