Music Complilations
I'm just trying to import all my Various Artists "compilation" releases. The wiki says:

Quote:1)Identifies albums based on Album name alone in the folder and groups the songs that have the same Album name together as an album.

2) Runs through each album's assigned songs. If there is 2 or more tracks with the same Track number, the group of songs must come from 2 or more albums, so the Album name is ruled out as a possible compilation.

3) If any of the songs assigned to the Album name have an Album Artist tag, then XBMC assumes the user knows what they're doing, and this album is also ruled out from being a compilation.

4) If two or more songs assigned to the Album name then have different primary artists, then the Album name is considered to be a group of songs from a compilation, and the Various Artists" tag is assigned as the album artist.

5) Otherwise, if all the songs have the same primary artist but don't have the same full artist list (eg a song or two has an additional artist) then the album is assigned the primary artist as it's Album Artist, and we assume the additional artists are guest artists.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...le_Artists

My question is, why does step 2) exist?

I'm trying to import "Now that's what I call Music!" compilations which all have 2 or more CD's

I've tagged them with disk numbers and correctly with the album name but they still do not show as a compilation.

Any ideas?
Just number them sequentially, and stick 'em all in one directory eg. "Now that's what I call music! 88". First disk runs from 1-22 or 23 (I forget which now) and then carry on with track 1 cd 2 as the next number, so 23 or 24. If you use something like Picard to tag them, it will number them like that, and XBMC will understand it when you scan it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Hmm.. that would mean retagging my entire VA music collection If I understand what you are saying.

Heres what the tags look like now

My question is really why does step number 2) exist? I can't see the point.

1 CD compilations appear to work perfectly. 2CD compilation releases are not marked as a compilation.
Yeah I see what you mean about your tags, although you posted a screenshot of your music db, so you could just edit that compilation field to a 1... easier than retagging.

I also think that as many compilations are multi-cd, its a bit daft checking for the same track number twice or more, and then using that result to exclude the album as a compilation, when it more than likely is... Can't think of many scenario's where it wouldn't be.

If its any consolation, it took me weeks of work to get my music library 99% sorted out. If you have python installed on your win box, then beets is what I used to sort out my tagging/filing/naming issues, of which there were numerous.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks, I'm sure there was a reason originally, it just didnt make sense when I looked at the logic.

Seems there is a quick way to do this by entering "Various Artists" as the Album_Artist tag

Thats good enough for now, just a shame I have to go editing tags. I think the logic can be improved here.
Maybe ping jmarshall.

I've not stumbled across this as I tend to use file mode for complications and use track numbers of:

101 for cd1 track 1
201 for cd2 track 1
File Mode!!!

pffft Big Grin
A lot of my compilations are self made hence nothing for XBMC to scape and file mode displays their tags just fine Smile
What tagger are you using?

I know that Picard will set the compilation flag to 1 by default if there is more then 1 artist listed in the album (which is highly annoying, but changeable via scripting). I guess it was to mimic the way ITunes did it...... arghhh. I'm pretty sure that will be changed in an upcoming version.
I'm using MP3tag.

I've tested with MB Picard but the "Artist - Track ft. blah blah" shows as a compilation which is annoying when I listen to a lot of electronic music.

I've found a script for Picard to remove the "Featuring, ft., Feat ." ect.. artist extension but its a bit of a pain and certainly not for new users.
I've never understood the value-added of the compilation tag. Could anyone give a usage scenario where it is good to have?

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Complilations0