Low budget XBMC player (£75)
I have been reading a lot about XBMC and the devices that are available but I am struggling to find the right player for me.

I am looking for a low budget XBMC player (£75) that can stream live tv/sports.
I have a 1TB external hard drive that I want to link with it.
Preferably Wifi capable and wil mostly use it for streaming Live TV and movies.
Hoping to get the most bang for my bucks but realize I won't be getting a intel powered NUC, hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks!
Well for that cost your looking at a Raspberry Pi or maybe a Amazon FireTV if you can find it at the right cost. Am I right in assuming that when your taking live tv and Movies you mean your cable/sat/ota/etc and your own movies (Illegal sources are not talked about here)? Live TV need more hardware and usually an external system to handle it though some of the distros for the Rpi can run TvHeadend as well.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
I was not aware of the extra hardware needed for live tv so lets forget about that and indeed I'm referring to my own movies.
I would like to play my content at 1080i does Raspberry Pi have that capability?
your between two levels of hardware. At the first level you got a Pi. you wont notice playback qulity difference compared to the high end (above £200) hardware. navigation is good but will feel slow if your used to a HTPC. Pi can cost between £30-£50 depending on what you already have

Next level is the NUC Intel DN2820
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing...dition=new
£92.98

got wifi and built in IR reciever so you can programme any remote to work with it.

You also got this

MSI J1900I
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131243808191
£44.58

Powercool Q5 Mini-ITX 120w Chassis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-Q5-Min...B008XI7FB8
£40.99

TOTAL (replacement) = £85.57

its faster and cheaper than a NUC but really only downside is no internal IR reciever (so cant wake up from shutdown with remote) and no wifi, but buy a cheap wifi dongle, it might end up costing close to the NUC but if you want more power than the J1900 board is to go.

The Pi is a good option if you have all the peripherals at hand like sd card, usb wifi. If your budget was already £75, you can either put in the extra to get NUC or J1900 board or buy a Pi.

I own 5 Pi's and for my needs it is perfect and I'm happy, but alot of users that have upgraded have said that its worth the extra bob, post back on what you decide

here is my thread that compares the NUC to that MSi board
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200229
The Pi can do 1080i so long as its in h.264 sense it has hardware acceleration for it, it can also do VC-1 and MPEG2 but you have buy the licenses from the RPI Foundation, only a few bucks though. With a RPi all you would need is a USB tuner sense both OpenELEC and RaspBMC (my personal fav) have the option to install TvHeadend for live tv, though I have never used it so I can't speak to how well it preforms. The RPi's extra cost comes from the other stuff you need like an SD card (Mirco SD card for the Model B+), USB Wifi, a case (I used the box for a while as an easy case) and I would recommend a USB drive (small one like 4 or 8 gb) as it can speed things up. In the past you would have also needed a USB hub preferably powered though with the Model B+ it may not be needed anymore sense it adds more USBs and fixes some of the power limitations on them, but I dont have one yet so I don't know how much has changed.

Forgot about the NUC, however you have to buy an mSATA ssd and memory for those and that drives the cost up. Never set one up but it could be a good route.

Recently got a FireTV for the parents (Introducing them to XBMC, another convert to the true path lol), works great and is really fast. The only problem I could see is you getting one in the UK sense you will probably need to use ebay but if you can get it for the right price then there great. (And not afraid to get a little dirty rooting it and setting it up)
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
(2014-07-24, 17:10)MediaPi Wrote: You also got this

MSI J1900I
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131243808191
£44.58

Powercool Q5 Mini-ITX 120w Chassis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-Q5-Min...B008XI7FB8
£40.99

TOTAL (replacement) = £85.57

its faster and cheaper than a NUC but really only downside is no internal IR reciever (so cant wake up from shutdown with remote) and no wifi, but buy a cheap wifi dongle, it might end up costing close to the NUC but if you want more power than the J1900 board is to go.

There is also the dual-core version of this motherboard available from the same seller, who offers free collection from a local Argos (via the eBay click & collect option). This saves a few pounds at £37.38. Maybe to help pay for a 1gb so-dimm stick of DDR3 RAM?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131231355138

I would be surprised if the dual-core version was significantly underpowered for XBMC. Although a lot depends on your usage and I cannot personally vouch for it - I've just gone for the, quad-core, J1900.
no point reccomending firetv for europeans, full stop. most services are tailored only for america. It doesnt do 50hz since its an android box and I've seen one for £73 but then ebay takes curency conversion so its about 2.5% which will take you to £75. you wont really have warrenty, if something messes up you have to pay for return delivery.

with the NUC you got openelec, which has no bias towards any region so you can always get the latest improvements. The FireTV is really only for americans, once you start importing its no where near as cheap as $99.

all you really need for a NUC is RAM (I got 2GB for £1.6 bargain but you should be able to pick up used RAM of ebay easily for less than £4) and you will have a USB lying around so thats it
Media Pi. So did you go for the NUC or self build?
I have the j1900 its a great board no need for any fans so completely silent. Actually I have just taken delivery of the power cool q5 linked to as well and will be putting the j1900 in hopefully the weekend
@ Mark142 neither LOL sorry I just dont have the cash Sad

goujam that power cool q5 has its own power supply, its similar to a Pico PSU so it has no moving parts and totally silent, you can keep the Pico PSU for your J1800

have a look @ this picture

on the left hand side theres a retangle board thing and thats basically what a Pico PSU, You only need a Pico PSU if you want a really small case and need the space. I would love for some pictures once you've set up, if you have the time
(2014-07-24, 21:41)MediaPi Wrote: @ Mark142 neither LOL sorry I just dont have the cash Sad

goujam that power cool q5 has its own power supply, its similar to a Pico PSU so it has no moving parts and totally silent, you can keep the Pico PSU for your J1800

have a look @ this picture

on the left hand side theres a retangle board thing and thats basically what a Pico PSU, You only need a Pico PSU if you want a really small case and need the space. I would love for some pictures once you've set up, if you have the time

I'm keeping my ion 2 setup for now and putting my old celeron 847 with my pico psu back into the cooler master elite 100 case and it maybe well become a retro arcade machine! I have the arcade joystick and buttons already as I was going to use one of my spare raspberry Pi's to do the arcade machine.

Just on the original post the pi will play full blu ray rips over a wired network the picture is really quite good. With proper 24p playback. However I'm loving using my j1900 everything is just quicker
Could you test something for me, have you tried watching SD content on a HD tv? I've heard that the J1900 cant do anything more than bilinear (maybe they have added some optimisation) and billinear is meant to be poor compared to what a Pi can do.

have you noticed any difference between the quality of sd content on the Pi vs the J1900 board?
I haven't tried any SD content I'll try a few clips the weekend see what its like. From anything I've seen so far the picture quality is the same. The main advantages for me are better spped though menus, the network buffer stays nice and full ( pi used to dip on high bit rate) also the bit streaming HD audio is great.

The Mrs is out Saturday so I'll try testing some clips then I may try some interlaced content as well.
thanks alot goujam glad to see someone enjoying their box
My setup in my signature is pretty close to your budget.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low budget XBMC player (£75)0