Low budget XBMC player (£75)
(2014-07-28, 20:48)decpvr Wrote:
(2014-07-25, 01:45)MediaPi Wrote: Haha Im not really techie on this stuff. I want to know if I would lose any picture quliaty from the J1900 compared to a Pi. I've heard the GPU is crippled somewhat and upscaling is limited in the J1900 so SD content on a 1080 display looks bad. I was curious from another user perspective using newer firmware or anything :p

Sorry, I just noticed you wanted tests on a 1080 display - I've only got a 720p display.

I did check my MSI j1900 quickly over the weekend. It appears that other scaling methods are available when I bring up the video playback window: Lanczos3, Spline36 etc.

When enabled the CPU usage jumps to around 15-10% (from about 5-10%) but I was hard pressed to notice any difference in quality. I don't know if that's down to my display, the hardware (if those methods are actually being enabled?), or just my old age ;-).

For some reason I couldn't install the iPlayer addon initially, but it worked the next day. Playback appeared similar to my HP Microserver with a GT430 card.

Sorry if that's not much help, maybe goujam will be able to offer a bit more detail on the matter?

Sorry I didn't get much chance to play any files the weekend I was replacining my case and upgrading my ssd. I will try and download some 1080i samples to test out as all my files are 1080p or 720p. On a side not I had to do a fresh install and had some issues booting on USB had to boot using the USB 3.0 port in the end for some reason
If you are testing 1080i samples - make sure they are native interlaced 50i and not content that has been shot 25p and is just being carried 50i.

Sport and Entertainment shows are good 50i sources, high-end drama and documentary is usually shot 25p (as are movie broadcasts). And catch-up TV is usually 25p (so web downloads don't count)
(2014-07-28, 22:43)noggin Wrote: If you are testing 1080i samples - make sure they are native interlaced 50i and not content that has been shot 25p and is just being carried 50i.

Sport and Entertainment shows are good 50i sources, high-end drama and documentary is usually shot 25p (as are movie broadcasts). And catch-up TV is usually 25p (so web downloads don't count)

I was just trying SD content more for the scaling, rather than deinterlacing.

I did also try some live SD TV (fed from a tvheadend server).

On a different note I've realised I would like to use the dual audio patch for Openelec. That way I can just have the TV on with 2-channel audio, then switch my AVR on for 5.1 when I want it.

My only question is, does anyone know if it's possible to have dual video outputs as well?

I would like to use the DVI output to HDMI (via an adapter) running directly to the TV, when using 2-channel audio. I'd run a separate analogue audio feed for the sound.

Then use the HDMI output into my AVR (then out to the TV) for 5.1 audio.

Is this possible?
(2014-07-28, 22:58)decpvr Wrote: I was just trying SD content more for the scaling, rather than deinterlacing.
Ah - but good quality de-interlacing can significantly increase your SD source resolution - so improve the scaled result ;-)

Quote:I did also try some live SD TV (fed from a tvheadend server).
The BBC News or Sky News channel tickers and studio shots are quite good for source material, as would stuff like the Commonwealth Games at the moment.
With all the talk of HQ de-interlacing & scaling I wonder if the following would work in my MSI J1900 motherboard:

One of these 1x to 16x riser cables - http://www.amazon.co.uk/EiioX-PCI-E-Expr...+1x+to+16x

With this passive GT630 plugged into it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-Graphics...997&sr=1-1

Would it function? If so, would it still have adequate bandwidth to de-interlace & display the video correctly, whilst also bitstreaming HD audio?

It's more of a proposal and theoretical question, but it would be nice to know if the option was there! Plus it would still be silent ;-)
I've bought this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201045744361

I'll give it a test with my GT430, which I intend to pull from my HP Microserver.

I'll try to post an update when I've had a chance to test it.
(2014-08-01, 21:22)decpvr Wrote: I've bought this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201045744361

I'll give it a test with my GT430, which I intend to pull from my HP Microserver.

I'll try to post an update when I've had a chance to test it.

Just trying out my GT430, while it's still in my Microserver. Looks like it can only do 'VDPAU - Bob' for de-interlacing, with Lanczos3 for scaling.

Does anyone know what cards would support better de-interlacing options? Would a GT630 improve on this?

Or should my GT430 be able to support more options and I just need to sort out the drivers?
The GT430 should do a lot better than Bob. I think it should offer Temporal/Spatial? I'd check out your drivers - and make sure you've got VDPAU enabled. Or try running OpenElec temporarily.
(2014-08-02, 01:13)noggin Wrote: The GT430 should do a lot better than Bob. I think it should offer Temporal/Spatial? I'd check out your drivers - and make sure you've got VDPAU enabled. Or try running OpenElec temporarily.

Sorry I did mean to post an update: I did a little reading up and yes it can do Temporal/Spatial.

I'll be interested to see if the GT430 will work with the PCI-E header cable I've ordered
(2014-08-02, 01:22)decpvr Wrote: I'll be interested to see if the GT430 will work with the PCI-E header cable I've ordered

Ok, I've managed to have a quick test with my GT430 and it's a no go.

The system will hang on boot, showing only the syslinux text (as it does on some systems when booting OpenElec). But it gets no further than this.

I can get into the bios menu and it displays correctly but there doesn't appear to be any options to do with the PCI-E bus which could help.

It looks like OpenElec recognises the card for audio output, as the options for using nvidia HDMI appear in the sound output options.

I didn't try using the sound output. I may try to give it a test later.
Tried giving it a quick test to try sound output through my GT430.

This doesn't appear to work either.

I may try installing OpenElec onto a usb stick, whilst my GT430 is in-place & connected to my AVR/TV. I don't know if this will make any difference but I feel it's at least worth a try.
(2014-08-03, 02:20)Jayce Wrote: Hey, I just learned from VidOn.me forum that the price of their new VidOn Box (based on Android) is only $49! That's really a cheap price, even much lower that your budget!

The box has a quad-core CPU, eight-core GPU,1GB RAM and 8GB Flash, and built-in their own VidOn XBMC, I think that's what you want!

Sounds really tempting, what type of CPU and GPU it will be, do you know?
I've posted a update regarding deinterlacing/scaling on my J1900i board here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1769081

It may be of interest to some of you!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low budget XBMC player (£75)0