Upgrading XBMC on ATV520E
Hi group,

Simple question. Just picked up an ATV520E. XBMC 12.1 FRODO pre-installed. I want to upgrade to Gotham. Looked through the menus but can't see any place to upgrade.

Help appreciated.

Max
I'm not saying that this is the easiest way, but what I did was uninstall the pre-installed xbmc (go into the android settings, apps, then find xbmc, and click the uninstall button).

Then I went and downloaded the "ARM" apk file from http://xbmc.org/download/ onto my atv520 and then ran the apk file from the file manager app. It installed and it worked on first launch.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

So this can all be done internally on the ATV520E box. Nothing needs to be loaded on a USB stick or memory card, correct?

How did you download the ARM file onto the box?

I run Gotham on my PC and love it.

Max
Yes, this could all be done internally on the atv520e box. You could use the built in browser to download the file and then run it with the file explorer app.

Or you COULD use a usb stick or memory stick if that's easiest for you.
Or you COULD map a drive from your android to your PC using the file explorer app and run the apk file over the network.
Any of those methods would work.
(2014-07-24, 20:06)VE3TMT Wrote: Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

So this can all be done internally on the ATV520E box. Nothing needs to be loaded on a USB stick or memory card, correct?

How did you download the ARM file onto the box?

I run Gotham on my PC and love it.

Max
How is the ATV520E, I was also considering it.Would you mind a quick review.
Where did you buy it from and how much.Im in the UK.
I like it, setup went fine. Having issues setting up the location in the weather, doesn't seem to hold my city info. The WiFi reception is good, picks up the router at the other end of the house just fine.

Wasn't planning on buying one until next week but they went on sale. Paid the equivalent of £37.
(2014-07-24, 21:32)VE3TMT Wrote: I like it, setup went fine. Having issues setting up the location in the weather, doesn't seem to hold my city info. The WiFi reception is good, picks up the router at the other end of the house just fine.

Wasn't planning on buying one until next week but they went on sale. Paid the equivalent of £37.

are you in the uk?can you provide link where you bought it from.how does xbmc operate,does everything work?
No I am in Canada.

XBMC runs just like it does on my PC. It came preinstalled with version 12.1 FRODO, I plan to upgrade that to Gotham shortly.
(2014-07-24, 21:39)VE3TMT Wrote: No I am in Canada.

XBMC runs just like it does on my PC. It came preinstalled with version 12.1 FRODO, I plan to upgrade that to Gotham shortly.

would you say the wifi is good to stream movies via xbmc.Do you get any lip sync or stutter issues.how fast is your internet connection?
I've tested it on a movie and an NHL game from Game Center. No stuttering at all. I have a fairly fast internet cable setup, my download speed is about 5 megs per second.
(2014-07-24, 21:47)VE3TMT Wrote: I've tested it on a movie and an NHL game from Game Center. No stuttering at all. I have a fairly fast internet cable setup, my download speed is about 5 megs per second.

great thanks.I still deciding between this,rasberry pi ,oyua or nuc.
(2014-07-24, 20:19)teefer22 Wrote: Yes, this could all be done internally on the atv520e box. You could use the built in browser to download the file and then run it with the file explorer app.

Or you COULD use a usb stick or memory stick if that's easiest for you.
Or you COULD map a drive from your android to your PC using the file explorer app and run the apk file over the network.
Any of those methods would work.

Upgraded via USB stick as smooth as butter.

Thanks for the help.

Max

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading XBMC on ATV520E0