Audio Options in Gotham, Nerfed? Win7
I'm bit confused now, what audio device are you wanting XBMC to use? the digital co-ax or the HDMI? If HDMI then the only difference to the above if that "Number of channels" becomes available with HDMI selected, so set this to 7.1.

From your description it sounds like Passthrough is no it enabled if all you're seeing in your AVR is PCM, also forgot to say that when trying to get Passthrough always select the WASAPI devices.
(2014-07-26, 15:27)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm bit confused now, what audio device are you wanting XBMC to use? the digital co-ax or the HDMI? If HDMI then the only difference to the above if that "Number of channels" becomes available with HDMI selected, so set this to 7.1.

From your description it sounds like Passthrough is no it enabled if all you're seeing in your AVR is PCM, also forgot to say that when trying to get Passthrough always select the WASAPI devices.

Well in Frodo it used both outputs. But when I'd play a movie, it switched the audio to HDMI. I can tell a difference because there's usually a sync issue with the coax I had before so I had to offset the audio by -.250, no biggie it's expected when you have the AVR and TV processing audio and video. So I'd like it to use the HDMI, but when I select the HDMI on WASAPI as the audio device and Pass through with the HDMI on WASAPI, I get no audio at all. When I disable pass through while the video is playing, it just pushes 2ch audio. I set it to 5.1, since my AVR doesn't do 7.1, so maybe I should try the 7.1 and see if that helps?
Nope, you should post a debug log (wiki) and a screenshot of your audio settings. Dev's don't ask for this stuff without a good reason. I take it that you cannot sort it out on your own and need some help, so help people to help you by posting the requested info.

BTW, frodo isn't gotham and there was a big re-write of the audio section between releases.

If you don't post the required info, how can anybody help ? No-one here has a crystal ball - although many posters seem to think they have !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-07-25, 00:26)jjd-uk Wrote: Audio settings were indeed broken in that many people found them confusing plus there was some bad choices made for the defaults in Frodo, so the new settings are an attempt to fix that.

I doubt that anything is broken and it's more likely a case of you not configuring things correctly, did you at any point read the wiki which includes detail on the settings and example configs, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Audio

A post from you before reverting with your settings and a debug log and maybe this could have been very quickly sorted out. If you want to give it another go then install Gotham and run it in portable mode so you can experiment while keeping your existing Frodo install unaffected, then when you're confident all is ok with Gotham switch to it for main usage.

Ok so here's the debug. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=254601

I installed Gotham, but on a thumb drive and ran it on the machine as a portable. If you need screen shots still, I'll try to figure out getting them up tomorrow. I don't want to use my photo host and I am trying to avoid more spam/signing up for other things. I know I know, just let's see if the log helps. Smile

PS. YES, I have read the WIKI and it really didn't tell me anything I already didn't try that I can see. Maybe I'm missing something ridiculously obvious here. Who knows. I'm contemplating going Linux, but configuring the PVR backend looks like more work than it's worth for me to just switch the OS. Seeing as how Windows poorly manages the HDMI and Audio.
So... It seems that I had to MANUALLY switch the audio on the AVR to the HDMI input. Call me crazy, but when I was in FRODO and I told it to use the HDMI, it automatically picked this up. Seems like HDMI is working now when selected as the WASAPI and Pass through.

If things change I'll let you know tomorrow. It's too late now. I also tried to set it to change the TV refresh rate and the video got choppy. So that's something else I'll have to figure out and post a log and blah blah...

All this in the name of entertainment. Sad
Good to see you got it sorted.

I'd have thought there was always a requirement to manually switch audio inputs on the AVR, unless the AVR can detect on what input audio is being presented, and switch to that input, however that would most likely be an AVR setting. I'm not aware of any changes on the XBMC side that could influence this and I'm not even sure if it's possible for us to influence this.
(2014-07-27, 09:52)jjd-uk Wrote: Good to see you got it sorted.

I'd have thought there was always a requirement to manually switch audio inputs on the AVR, unless the AVR can detect on what input audio is being presented, and switch to that input, however that would most likely be an AVR setting. I'm not aware of any changes on the XBMC side that could influence this and I'm not even sure if it's possible for us to influence this.

Yeah, it spooked me out too. When I put thew NVidia card in, I went through hell trying to get HDMI audio to work after shutting off the TV/AVR till I read up that it's an issue with HDMI and Windows. So I left the SPDIF connection connected to run audio. I was messing with Audio in Frodo and for some reason, XBMC can actually still use the HDMI fine after powering off and on and it seemed that the AVR just switched between the two. Huh. Sometimes it's the simplest thing.

Still though in my opinion, it kind of made me tilt my head as to why the huge change to Gotham and the options. Now I'll try to figure this choppy video out and see if I can get that to work, if so then Gotham is going on the HTPC permanently.

Thanks for the patience and sorry for being a dick. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Options in Gotham, Nerfed? Win70