Raspberry Remote Control magic
I was reading somewhere that I can use my tv remote to control XBMC using CEC with the raspberry pi (openelec).

Is this correct that it really just works out of the box with my normal tv remote?

Besides the raspberry, is that also possible with NUC or other HTPCs?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
If your TV supports it (and or AVR if you are using one) then yes but if it does not then its a no go. And yes you can get it on other devices. I'm not sure about built in support, never looked into it, but I know there is a USB adapter you can buy that sits in between the HDMI source and target.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
@steve1977
Yes CEC is Working right out of the box ! When takling raspberry pi (openelec)

The Raspberry Pi GPU has CEC support which is supported by libCEC, and is therefore fully supported by XBMC.

NUC and HTPC need a CEC adapter from:

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx

BR
OFH
Now, I am even more intrigued to fully understand how this works. How do I install the adapter and how many cables does it take? 2 HDMI and a USB?`And Rapsberry can do all of this just with the "normal" HMDI-output?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
both my sony bravia and toshiba tv remotes worked with no problems and no setup required using raspbmc
The external adapter comes with a short hmdi and usb lead. .. if your htpc motherboard supports it they also sell an internal version which just plus into a header on the motherboard
(2014-07-26, 10:45)Vidman Wrote: The external adapter comes with a short hmdi and usb lead. .. if your htpc motherboard supports it they also sell an internal version which just plus into a header on the motherboard

Thanks. So, I will need to plug the external adapter into both a USB port and the HDMI exit. And then the adapter with another HDMI cable to the television?

Need to say that the raspberry pi indeed appears a miracle machine when it comes to this feature. No other device supporting this natively without using one of the adapters mentioned above?
Some other ARM boards also have CEC - but not all, and I don't know if those that have hardware support also have libCEC support.

The Pulse 8 adaptors basically inject/receive CEC into the HDMI output of your HTPC - so they take the HDMI output from your HTPC, add the CEC and provide a new HDMI output to feed to your AVR or Amp. It's a pass-through kind of thing. The USB connection is how the adaptor gets the CEC in to/out of your PC. I believe some NUCs expose the CEC pin on their HDMI output internally, allowing an internal module to be fitted invisibly, however I think this may be incompatible with the stock enclosure (i.e. it doesn't fit)
This is absolutely impressive. I just set up a raspberry pi and it works perfectly out-of-the-box with my Sony Bravia remote. I am truly as I have been struggling for years with eventhost, lirc and others. With this little magic box, it just works!

It's really a pity that x86 NUC or other higher-speed HTPCs do not support this (without using yet another adapter).

Thanks for all your replies. Was never a big fan of raspberry, but now I am!
Yeah video card (and I include on motherboard or in CPU solutions) manufacturers don't seem to be interested in CEC. Shame really as some of the hard work has been done by the creation of libcec, and it's certainly not a difficult or expensive thing to include.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Still surprised that nobody is raving about this when it comes to the raspberry features. I am by no means a raspberry fan and would really prefer an i3 powered HTPC giving me a snappy GUI. But with this feature, I am now the biggest raspberry fan and will not use anything else.

Also, very cool that I don't even need a power supply, but can power it over my TV's usb port...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Remote Control magic0