install on portable drive as standalone?
i dont have a meda centre or dedicated pc for media, and i dont want to leave my pc running 24/7 for when watching my films.
I currently have everything on portable drives which plug straight into usb on tv, but the file management is messy.

Can i install XBMC to the portable drive so it acts as a library on the drive and i can then just plug into the tv as usual, scroll through the library on xbmc and select my file to play?

I also do have xbmc on my android phone, so if it can be done that way then its fine also, but i need to be able to play the film onto the tv somehow...which i couldnt when i tried the android version, it just played on the phone as i didnt get an airplay option.

As you can tell i am knew to this and xbmc may not be right for me but its does look good. Smile
Quote:Can i install XBMC to the portable drive so it acts as a library on the drive and i can then just plug into the tv as usual, scroll through the library on xbmc and select my file to play?
No, because all you will have is a set of files without the underlying OS on which to run - unless you have a rather unusual TV, offering a way of installing and running programmes.

You would need something like a Raspberry Pi system, into which you would plug a usb drive with films etc, connected to (for example) a HDMI port on the TV.
Derek
ok, thanks, is raspberry pi powered by USB or does it require a plug socket and cumbersome power brick or something?

if you are saying that I can install xbmc to the little computer and plug my harddrive into that then it may be just what I need.
Can you get audio/video from your current PC to your TV and just use xbmc when you want to watch a film?
(2014-07-26, 00:00)t3rm3y Wrote: ok, thanks, is raspberry pi powered by USB or does it require a plug socket and cumbersome power brick or something?

if you are saying that I can install xbmc to the little computer and plug my harddrive into that then it may be just what I need.

Yes and yes. Provided that the USB port is providing enough power, and that the hard drive is either self powered or on a powered USB hub, since that will pull a lot of power even for a Pi.
Cheers guys. I need to get a pi to test. The drive currently runs off the tv's usb without need for external storage. Well I'll see what happens. Even with a plug it's got to draw far less power then the pc or nuc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
install on portable drive as standalone?0