Oops, ruined my xbmc :-/
My Windows PC has gotten gradually slower (as they do) and my thumbnails folder was getting astronomical. So I used program add-on (ThumbnailsCleaner 1.1.3 by MaHeadroom). Ppl say its an effective but add-on which lacks some useful user notifications. After running, it took about half hour before it started showing dialogs processing 20gb of thumbs.

After 5hours, my entire thumbs had moved from D: to my C: desktop, which brought the system drive down to 0kb free. Instructions for the add-on weren't terribly clear, I assumed it was cleaning the thumb database of redundant thumbs. Frustrated, I thought, sod it, I'll delete all the thumbs it transferred and just let xbmc build things up from scratch. (Ridding me of a years-worth of YouTube and other video/music add-on thumbs).

But the result is a bit worse really. I'm happy to report that its kept all the textures intact, icon thumbs for addons remain. But every movie&TV show has lost its thumb. (Naturally! They've been deleted!)

However at this point I was hoping xbmc would regenerate the thumbs. The first targets would be folder.jpg (for movie posters). The folder.jpg files are still in their respective movie folders but xbmc is showing blanks and not re-thumbing them.

Elsewhere, fanart (the bread and butter) is not showing up anymore, this includes extrafanart, extrathumbs, actor art. Also it includes backgrounds I've selected on the home screen.

Interestingly, music albums (files mode) still show the folder.jpg files (haven't checked library more yet).

As you can tell! Things are looking a bit bare!

As a test, I hit INFO on a movie, selected GET EXTRAFANART, it finds the art, downloads it, but is then inconsistent at displaying it. With the movie highlighted, it shows a single art, then fadeshen fades to black, then transitions to a fanart, etc etc.

Its like xbmc is pointing to fanart which no longer exists.

But at the least, i would have expected backgrounds on the main menu to return (I've even renamed the folder they used to reside in, so the path is different).

I'm obviously not understanding simple about how thumbing works in xbmc but could do with some help getting things back on track. It's taken ages setting up the libraries and I'd prefer not to do it all again.

Hope someone can help,
Kind regards.
If you delete thumbnails directory, you should also delete Textures13.db.
Why's that?
^rebuild cache
Thanks for the tip. It's regenerating the thumbs from scratch now. Although it does seem to show blank spaces for some items. There is definitely a folder.jpg present (I've checked). TV show fanart at the season level now showing black background instead of the art :-(, season posters not showing either, along with episode thumbs.

I might just do a re-install. Is there an add-on I can use to backup the media libraries? (I want to be able to keep the artist biogs as well) -will the regular library backup option in xbmc settings cover this?
Yes to the reg back up in XBMC if done as seperate files
Look into Artwork Downloader add-on, this will scrape missing fanarts, posters, etc, you choose the settings of what you want to scrape, it can use local files also if present

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Oops, ruined my xbmc :-/0