Auto width for buttons
I am trying to find a way of setting the width of buttons automatically. Reading between the lines, it seems this isn't possible - the auto width property only applies to labels??

This basically makes it impossible to make horizontal lists look any good... To put it into context I am trying to develop a thumbnail view with a horizontal list of buttons above - the fixed widths make the list look totally pants...

Given the popularity of horizontal scrolling these days (thanks in no small part to metro etc.) this is quite a frustrating omission that's been requested for at least four years.

Does anyone have a viable workaround or is this a non-starter? My fall-back is a group-list parent for a button list and manually setting widths for every single button (pretty crude and I'm not sure it's viable for what I have in mind...)

Also, is there seriously no support for underlining text?!

...apologies for the tone. I really do appreciate parts of xbmc are brilliant and it's free, people develop it out of the kindness of their hearts etc., but having invested a lot of time trying to put together a new skin, it's difficult not to be frustrated by the lack of some (what I thought were) basic functions.
As you're using Immersive for your new skin, have a look at how I did this for the Trakt.TV window; Custom_TraktTV_Hub.xml. You'll basically be setting up two grouplists - one for the buttons and one for labels. You'll be navigating the buttons and using the focus condition of them to change the labels.
Hi Sran.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look.

Yes - I was using Immersive as the basis and sincere apologies for not crediting that! It's a great skin and very well coded so makes a brilliant template rather than starting from scratch (I should also credit Microsoft since I'm borrowing heavily from the look of the metro apps too ;-) )

I planned on uploading screenshots of the whole skin at some point to gauge interest, but I'm having to hardcode certain things and use XBMC in a slightly unorthodox way to get it setup as I envisaged. But if I do upload it I will of course properly credit what I've used from Immersive.
Managed to get this go work, but with one significant floor - there is no way to scroll labels (?) so the horizontal menu can't exceed the width of the screen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto width for buttons0