DIY Openelec xbmc
Is there a guide out there to help select hardware? I am thinking about trying to build a system for bedroom. I have intel nuc i5 downstairs for theater. Looking for box upstairs that will access my 2 nas drive with content.
Not really. Start with a budget and a list of requirements.

I would go for the $200 odd (in the US anyway) option of another NUC or a similar small machine. You don't need an i5, many people seem happy with the lower spec ones. I would avoid android. Unless you're on a very tight budget I would probably avoid raspberry pi as it can be pretty slow around menus, although has a couple of advantages in terms of good playback ability and built in CEC - so you may be able to get away without a separate remote.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-26, 07:26)nickr Wrote: Not really. Start with a budget and a list of requirements.

I would go for the $200 odd (in the US anyway) option of another NUC or a similar small machine. You don't need an i5, many people seem happy with the lower spec ones. I would avoid android. Unless you're on a very tight budget I would probably avoid raspberry pi as it can be pretty slow around menus, although has a couple of advantages in terms of good playback ability and built in CEC - so you may be able to get away without a separate remote.

Trying to stay around $20-250 range.
$20 is unrealistic. I understand the lower end NUCs are about $150, but don't quote me. The firetv is $100 but it is android, so you don't get anything other than 60Hz playback AFAIK.

A RPi will come in under $100 with SD card, power supply, case.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-26, 08:05)nickr Wrote: $20 is unrealistic. I understand the lower end NUCs are about $150, but don't quote me. The firetv is $100 but it is android, so you don't get anything other than 60Hz playback AFAIK.

A RPi will come in under $100 with SD card, power supply, case.

My bad. $200-250.
LOL that sounds more like it.

If you like your NUC, get another!
dunno about you, coming from a Boxee Box and using a Raspi with OpenELEC and love it so far. The menu's are not that slow at all, maybe 5 seconds to load the movie library but thumbnails are instant and browsing the library is quick. Launching the movie is like 10 seconds but I think that's caused by my server as it similar on all devices.

Yes when I run it next to my i5 with an SSD and 16GB RAM i do notice the difference in speed but its not significant and will not be noticed if you don't have them side by side. You will notice the difference when you scan, which is why I just copy the database and thumbnails from my PC to the raspi when I first started but new content is handled by the Pi.

cost me $65 CDN with a case and good SD Card, no need for a remote since I can use my TV remote or Yatse. However I opened my BBox and got that remote working on the Pi as well.
Looking for something to maybe build my own i3 itx build. Just not sure what motherboard etc would work with openelec
What about something like this http://www.msi.com/product/mb/J1900I.html#hero-overview
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Openelec xbmc0