Solved Failing to start after update
After updating to Trusty and upgrading to Gotham, Xbmc fails to start.

Using mysql for movie and tv databases, these appear to have been updated. have even dropped them and started xbmc again.

It appears to get to
Code:
NOTICE: StorageClient-2.5.4 Starting server
and stops

After enabling debugging it appears to still be doing something but!! is this normal.
Code:
12:04:43 T:139806554191616  NOTICE: StorageClient-2.5.4 Starting server
12:05:13 T:139806520719104   DEBUG: Thread JobWorker 139806520719104 terminating (autodelete)
12:05:13 T:139806919100160   DEBUG: Thread JobWorker 139806919100160 terminating (autodelete)

full xbmc.log

I have left it running to see if it eventually completes or crashes with a more meaning full error.
Are you running as root? If so, why?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-27, 02:56)nickr Wrote: Are you running as root? If so, why?
Code:
PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
2457 xbmc      20   0 2657340 169988  47368 S   6.3  2.2   0:18.09 xbmc.bin
not root, user is xbmc.

Fixed, As i was coming from Raring which is well out of support, the upgrade to Trusty removed "xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts"

re installing the pvr addon fixed the hang on start and all is running well now.
OK well that blows that theory (your log said it was posted by "root")

I suspect a rogue addon that worked with frodo, but doesn't with gotham. Try moving your .xbmc directory out of the way (but not deleting it as there is stuff in there you will probably want).

Code:
cd
mv .xbmc .xbmc.backup
xbmc

EDIT That should be run from your home directory obviously. Make sure you run cd before you start, in fact i added it above.

EDIT 2: take a look through this thread, I don't think it is the same problem, but check it out. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200137
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-27, 04:25)nickr Wrote: OK well that blows that theory (your log said it was posted by "root")

I suspect a rogue addon that worked with frodo, but doesn't with gotham. Try moving your .xbmc directory out of the way (but not deleting it as there is stuff in there you will probably want).

Code:
cd
mv .xbmc .xbmc.backup
xbmc

EDIT That should be run from your home directory obviously. Make sure you run cd before you start, in fact i added it above.

EDIT 2: take a look through this thread, I don't think it is the same problem, but check it out. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200137

Thanks , but the fix was to add back in the missing tvheadend pvr addon that got removed during the distribution upgrade.
Ahhh yes there is a crash if pvr is enabled but the addon isn't there!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failing to start after update0