OpenElec vs Distros
I've been happy with OpenElec but sort of miss the ability to run other programs such as those able to play ISO's. Is XBMCUntu difficult to set up and configure? I don't imagine it's well suited to TV but I could be wrong. Another reason is that I can update to the latest nvidia drivers without waiting for a new OE release.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
OpenELEC can play ISOs.

Nvidia drivers on OpenELEC are always on the latest stable release.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Why would you need to update the drivers on OE? It's not like you gain anything.
Wait, OE can play ISO's while XBMC can't? How's that possible? Did you guys do your own programming for that?
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
If you mean "ISOs of films" then both XBMC and OE can do that as it's part of the XBMC code. If you mean "ISOs of games" then that's different if it depends on separate (non-addon) code.

So maybe back to basics... what are you trying to do that OE won't do, as well as negge's question about the drivers?
(2014-07-28, 16:24)patseguin Wrote: Wait, OE can play ISO's while XBMC can't? How's that possible? Did you guys do your own programming for that?

xbmc has always been able to play iso's (albeit not on RPI, and there is limited bluray support on all systems).
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Ah I sh ould have clarified. XBMC won't play 3D ISO,s right?
No it won't.

3D on a bluray (and hence on an ISO of the bluray) uses MVC encoding. As far as I know only windows has software to play that, and it needs to be an external player.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec vs Distros0