Rookie question about sharing
I have read a lot about how homegroups are not the way to go for sharing over the network.
But why? From what I understand the limitations of a homegroup are only an issue if media is being played from a remote location.

Using my own situation as an example ...

I have my main desktop computer running Windows 8.1 x64 which runs a single partition on a 2TB HDD.
I have my HTPC machine running XBMC on Windows 7 x64 which runs 2 partitions on a 2TB HDD - C is where my OS and XBMC operating files are; X is where all my media is stored.

My media files are ALL downloaded to my main desktop machine where any renaming, remuxing, etc is done before the files are moved to the HTPC machine. (Drive X)

I have been sharing between the 2 machines with SMB, but this has become problematic as I have to go through the entire setup process every time one of the machines restarts.
So why would a homegroup not be a simple answer in this situation?

Please be gentle - the last time I had to do any kind of networking I used a phone line and a little thing called Terminal Server!
I am no longer active in these forums. Replying to, or commenting on, anything I have said in these forums is a waste of your time.
Why do you have to go through the whole setup every time you have a machine restart?
(2014-07-28, 08:21)Vidman Wrote: Why do you have to go through the whole setup every time you have a machine restart?
Because whenever either machine restarts the files can no longer be accessed from the other machine
I am no longer active in these forums. Replying to, or commenting on, anything I have said in these forums is a waste of your time.
(2014-07-28, 04:17)Gr0k Wrote: But why?
Wink ..... This should not be the case.. Maybe you should look into why this is happening instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rookie question about sharing0