PVR's
Could someone please give me a site where it explains exactly or explain how the TV guide and the PVR work together.

What is need from me to install and make it work. In others words, explain frontends, backend, side ends Smile What I want to know how the Lagos fit together.

I read the fowllowing on a site: It's as clear as mud and so are the links. I have tried several other sites and there all pretty good if you have one which is working........

The Live TV backend server, which communicates with a [u]TV tuner adaptor to create a video or audio stream, and The PVR client - an XBMC Add-on which controls the presentation of that content.[/u]

What is a TV tuner adapter.. Sounds like something used years ago, damn near an antique.
The problem with this request is the legos is it heavily depends on your setup. for anyone to be able to help they need more info. What our you using for tuner , what OS are you using, are you using cable or just OTA antenna?

Good example is I have SiliconDust HD-Homerun sending OTA antenna tv to my WMC setup. I have a computer running Windows media server, WMC is setup to do the recording and such. I have installed ServerWMC on my server. From there I use the WMC PVR addon to gain my PVR functionality.
A tuner is the bit that you plug your antenna, sat dish, cable feed etc into. It can either be an internal card, or an external USB device. You need the correct type of tuner to match the broadcast you wish to receive. eg, in the UK I need a DVB-T2 card to receive digital terrestrial tv in HD. Other countries broadcast in differing formats so you need to check your own area to see what type is needed.

The backend is a program or suite of programs that communicate with the tuner (to tell it which channel to select for instance) and handle the tv guide information and recording/live pause. The backend also communicates with the frontend which is a program that actually allows you to watch the tv stream.

The frontend also tells the backend which channel to select and what recordings (if any) need to be scheduled. Unless you are distributing TV to multiple clients (like me!) then the backend and frontend both run on the same machine.

This is just a simple scenario, but it should give you an idea of what happens.

Tuner <-->backend<-->frontend-->picture on tv

The XBMC PVR plugins replace the frontend with XBMC. They allow you to watch live TV, change channel, schedule and watch recordings, without having to run a separate frontend.

There are different plugins for different backend systems. Your operating system will likely determine which backends you can choose from.

If you are looking to start out from scratch, you first need to know what sort of broadcast you intend to receive. You then need to find a tuner for that system. Ideally at this point you will have an idea of which backend you will be using, as you need to make sure your tuner is supported by that backend. Then its simply a case of buying the tuner, and configuring the software.

To further elaborate would depend on which OS you run, where in the world you are located and what types of broadcast are available to you that you would like to be able to receive.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thank you for the quick reply.

I think I found my answer, I need a TV tuner which I don't have.

What it looked like to me is that I could install a TV Guide addon and than set up a PVR for recording. To elaborate a little I have playing around with xbmc, for a couple months now and the PVR, was something I handn't tryed to insatll and did a lot of searching, trying to get it to work/understand, but to no avail. Anyway thank you, again and to answer your question.

Equipment:
No tuner,
OS Windows 8.1, Processor AMD A10, Ram 8GB
Cable
Did you read PVR (wiki) ?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR's0