Release XBMC ROM utilities - Filter and sort your ROM collections
IMPORTANT
The functionality and features provided by NARS Advanced ROM Sorting have been integrated into the Kodi addons Advanced Emulator Launcher and Advanced MAME Launcher. NARS is now unmaintained/unsupported.

XBMC ROM utilities (XRU) is a set of Python scripts that allows you to filter your ROM collections to remove unwanted ROMs from XBMC's launcher plugins like Advanced Launcher, ROM Collection Browser, or any other front-end. If the ROM collections are updated or a new version of the emulators installed (which may require some new ROMs to be updated) XRU is able to synchronise the ROM directories of your HTPC quickly and effectively.

Latest version: 0.1.0
Download from Github
Manual with lot of examples

Features for console ROM collections
  • Only one ROM per game will be copied, so the number of items in your launcher will be lower. AL and RCB will load much quicker.
  • Games can by filtered by region. You can complete remove Japanese games or any other language.
  • If you update your ROM collection the synchronisation with your HTPC is easy and quick.
  • Locally available artwork files can be synchronised so you can use offline scrappers to speed up game scanning.
  • Advanced Launcher configuration can be checked to see if launchers need to be updated.
  • Redundant ROMs, artwork and NFO files can be cleaned up from your HTPC.
  • Games can be split into several launchers, for example, SNES Europe, SNES USA, SNES Japan launchers.

Features for MAME ROM collections
  • Same as above plus...
  • Games can be filtered by Driver, Category, type of Controls they use, number of buttons, number of players, and release date.
  • You can remove clone games, BIOSes, drivers, Pinball machines, Mahjongs, Mature, mechanical games, etc., which are usually unplayable in your HTPC.
  • NFO files can be generated to speed up ROM scanning with offline scrapers.

WARNING: software is written is Python and can be used out-of-the-box in Linux and MacOS. Windows users need to install a Python environment like Cygwin or the official one.

WARNING: current version 0.1.0 requires Python2 and will not work under Python3. A refactoring to make the software run with Python3 is under way.

Have fun an please report any bug or feature request!
Hi, I think this script is exactly what I'm looking for. I downloaded and installed latest version of Python x64 for Windows. I'm running Windows 8.1 x64. I was trying it out but I get an error message. Can you please help? The error I'm getting is:

C:\Software\Portables\XBMC-rom-utils-master>xru-console.py list-tags snes
File "C:\Software\Portables\XBMC-rom-utils-master\xru-console.py", line 55
print k
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

C:\Software\Portables\XBMC-rom-utils-master>

I've configured the xml file as below. Only the snes part with rom and dat path. I've also tried without surrounding " in the paths but same error.

<!-- Example configuration file for XBMC ROM utilities -->
<ROMcollections>
<!-- Nintendo ROMS -->
<collection name="SNES NoIntro" shortname="snes">
<NoIntroDat>"C:\Emulation\Dats\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (20150215-231121_CM).dat"</NoIntroDat>
<ROMsSource>"C:\Emulation\Roms\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System"</ROMsSource>
<ROMsDest>"C:\Emulation\Roms\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Sorted)"</ROMsDest>
<ThumbsSource>/home/xbmc/roms/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-boxes/</ThumbsSource>
<FanartSource>/home/xbmc/roms/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-snaps/</FanartSource>
<ThumbsDest>/home/xbmc/NUC-remote/ROMs/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-thumbs/</ThumbsDest>
<FanartDest>/home/xbmc/NUC-remote/ROMs/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-fanart/</FanartDest>
<filterUpTags>Europe, World, Rev 1</filterUpTags>
<filterDownTags>Japan, Beta, Proto, France</filterDownTags>
<includeTags>Europe, USA</includeTags>
<excludeTags>Japan</excludeTags>
</collection>
<!-- Sega ROMS -->
<collection name="Sega Mega Drive NoIntro" shortname="genesis">
<ROMsSource>/home/xbmc/roms/roms-sega-genesis/</ROMsSource>
<ROMsDest>/home/xbmc/NUC-remote/ROMs/roms-sega-genesis/</ROMsDest>
<filterDownTags>Japan, Beta, Proto</filterDownTags>
</collection>
</ROMcollections>

I've only configured the rom and dat path just to test it. But eventually I would like to add all artwork sets I have. I don't know what the Thumbs and Fanart is supposed to be but below are the folders I have populated with artwork/media. Can I configure these? And how?

Advert
Background
Banner
Boxes
Boxes_3D
Cartridges
Manuals
Snaps
Titles
Videos
Not sure if this is still being developed but if it is then this project should probably be renamed to meet the official trademark policy?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

You should not use "Kodi" or "XBMC" in the name of unoffical products, see this section:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark...d_Software

Related Software

XBMC Foundation products are designed to be extended, and we recognize that community members writing add-ons and supplemental software need some way to identify the XBMC Foundation product to which their add-on/software pertain. Our main concern about add-ons and related software is that consumers not be confused as to whether they are official (meaning approved by XBMC Foundation) or not. To address that concern, we request that add-ons and supplemental software names not include, in whole or in part, the words "XBMC Foundation" or "Kodi" in a way that suggests a connection between XBMC Foundation and the add-on or software (e.g., "Frobnicator for Kodi," would be acceptable, but "Kodi Frobnicator" would not).

Recommend you read http://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/ and http://kodi.tv/introducing-the-kodi-logo/ which explain their interest in trademark protection.
(2015-06-15, 22:17)X1pheR Wrote: Hi, I think this script is exactly what I'm looking for. I downloaded and installed latest version of Python x64 for Windows. I'm running Windows 8.1 x64. I was trying it out but I get an error message. Can you please help? The error I'm getting is:

C:\Software\Portables\XBMC-rom-utils-master>xru-console.py list-tags snes
File "C:\Software\Portables\XBMC-rom-utils-master\xru-console.py", line 55
print k
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

C:\Software\Portables\XBMC-rom-utils-master>

You need to use Python2 instead of Python3. I wrote a more detailed answer in Github, please have a look.

(2015-06-15, 22:17)X1pheR Wrote: I've configured the xml file as below. Only the snes part with rom and dat path. I've also tried without surrounding " in the paths but same error.

<!-- Example configuration file for XBMC ROM utilities -->
<ROMcollections>
<!-- Nintendo ROMS -->
<collection name="SNES NoIntro" shortname="snes">
<NoIntroDat>"C:\Emulation\Dats\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (20150215-231121_CM).dat"</NoIntroDat>
<ROMsSource>"C:\Emulation\Roms\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System"</ROMsSource>
<ROMsDest>"C:\Emulation\Roms\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Sorted)"</ROMsDest>
<ThumbsSource>/home/xbmc/roms/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-boxes/</ThumbsSource>
<FanartSource>/home/xbmc/roms/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-snaps/</FanartSource>
<ThumbsDest>/home/xbmc/NUC-remote/ROMs/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-thumbs/</ThumbsDest>
<FanartDest>/home/xbmc/NUC-remote/ROMs/ArtWork/nintendo-snes-fanart/</FanartDest>
<filterDownTags>Japan, Beta, Proto, France</filterDownTags>
</collection>
<!-- Sega ROMS -->
<collection name="Sega Mega Drive NoIntro" shortname="genesis">
<ROMsSource>/home/xbmc/roms/roms-sega-genesis/</ROMsSource>
<ROMsDest>/home/xbmc/NUC-remote/ROMs/roms-sega-genesis/</ROMsDest>
<filterDownTags>Japan, Beta, Proto</filterDownTags>
</collection>
</ROMcollections>

I've only configured the rom and dat path just to test it. But eventually I would like to add all artwork sets I have. I don't know what the Thumbs and Fanart is supposed to be but below are the folders I have populated with artwork/media. Can I configure these? And how?

Advert
Background
Banner
Boxes
Boxes_3D
Cartridges
Manuals
Snaps
Titles
Videos

Quotes inside XML tags are not necessary for directories having spaces (and if they are that's a bug), actually they can be bad because they are not stripped.

Thumbs and Fanart are generic artwork terms used by Advanced Launcher plugin. AL only supports 2 pieces of artwork per ROM, in my opinion more than enough if you have a big collection of thousands of ROMs (if you have a small collection you probably do not need XRU). If you already have artwork collections you should now there are many of those around and they use different names for the same stuff. Also, artwork for game consoles is completely different than artwork for arcade (read MAME). This is the reason generic terms that are compatible for console and arcade must be chosen.

Implementing more tags to deal with more artwork classes should not be very difficult. However, before doing so we must agree in a set of names compatible with both arcade and console ROMs. There is separate software for MAME and No-Intro. However, launchers use same artwork names for both.

Also, if you are using so much artwork classes I presume you are using ROM Collection Browser. Keep in mind that RCB will become extremely slow if you have huge ROM collections (say, more than a few thousand ROMs) and that is the reason I advise to use AL instead of RCB for big collections. However, if you think otherwise or have another plans in mind please tell me.
(2015-06-16, 17:28)RockerC Wrote: Not sure if this is still being developed but if it is then this project should probably be renamed to meet the official trademark policy?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

You should not use "Kodi" or "XBMC" in the name of unoffical products, see this section:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark...d_Software

Related Software

XBMC Foundation products are designed to be extended, and we recognize that community members writing add-ons and supplemental software need some way to identify the XBMC Foundation product to which their add-on/software pertain. Our main concern about add-ons and related software is that consumers not be confused as to whether they are official (meaning approved by XBMC Foundation) or not. To address that concern, we request that add-ons and supplemental software names not include, in whole or in part, the words "XBMC Foundation" or "Kodi" in a way that suggests a connection between XBMC Foundation and the add-on or software (e.g., "Frobnicator for Kodi," would be acceptable, but "Kodi Frobnicator" would not).

Recommend you read http://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/ and http://kodi.tv/introducing-the-kodi-logo/ which explain their interest in trademark protection.

Yes, still in development.

OK, will change software name ASAP. Probably will chose a name totally unrelated to XBMC/Kodi.

Sorry if this caused any problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC ROM utilities - Filter and sort your ROM collections0