Asus Chromebox and UPnP
(2014-07-31, 18:33)smitbret Wrote: I installed Allcast, thinking it was just like Mezzmo or BubbleUPnP. I opened it up but it just sat and scanned but never appeared to find any of my XBMC locations. Opened Mezzmo back up and there they were. It looks like you need the AllCast Receiver, too on the playback device. Since the Chromebox is the only device with issues, it doesn't appear that Allcast would really be a workable solution.

Weird, it found mine right away, both as a DNLA renderer, and as an AirPlay receiver
Try Skifta as well and see if that works.
I tried Skifta about a year ago and never felt comfortable with it. But anyway.....

So I finally just said to heck with it. I did a recovery on the Chromebox by restoring to Chromium to get the Legacy BIOS back. Then did a Recovery to the original Chrome OS like it was a brand new box.

Followed Matt Devo's guide for standalone OpenELEC.

Whatever the issue was, it's gone. Fired up Mezzmo Android, refreshed the devices and there it is.

Matt, thanks for all of your assistance on this.
(2014-08-02, 00:14)smitbret Wrote: I tried Skifta about a year ago and never felt comfortable with it. But anyway.....

So I finally just said to heck with it. I did a recovery on the Chromebox by restoring to Chromium to get the Legacy BIOS back. Then did a Recovery to the original Chrome OS like it was a brand new box.

Followed Matt Devo's guide for standalone OpenELEC.

Whatever the issue was, it's gone. Fired up Mezzmo Android, refreshed the devices and there it is.

Matt, thanks for all of your assistance on this.

bizarre, but glad that fixed the issue and that everything is working correctly now
ACK!!!!

Worked for about an hour, now it has dissappeared from the list of devices again.

I think I might just chalk this up as a lost cause. It wouldn't be a frequently used feature anyway.
So, just for kicks I installed XBMCbuntu on my Chromebox today to see if that had any affect.

Just like the install for OpenELEC, it seemed to work fine for awhile (about an hour) and then it just stopped identifying itself as a UPnP device.

Guess it just isn't meant to be.

Is it possible that the skin, Aeon Nox, could cause this?
Can always revert to confluence and see Smile
(2014-08-03, 00:17)Matt Devo Wrote: Can always revert to confluence and see Smile

It's not the skin.

So, I messed with XBMCbuntu and I prefer OpenELEC. It just seems a little smoother and more responsive. I figured if I was gonna live without the PlayTo feature I might as will just use OpenELEC so I erased XBMCbuntu and reinstalled the v4.1.2 of OpenELEC. Just like before, it worked fine for the first hour or so while I was messing around and recustomizing everything. This time, though I paid attention and made all of my customizations one at a time and waited a few minutes after each to see if the Chromebox disappeared from Mezzmo's device list. It never did..... then I rebooted the Chromebox. 30 seconds later when OpenELEC was up and running, no Chromebox in the device list. Apparently, UPnP works until the Chromebox gets rebooted, regardless of which version of XBMC it is running.

Interestingly, I was able to bring it back up by renaming the XBMC installation, turning off UPnP sharing and then rebooting. Then when I jumped back into services and turned UPnP sharing back on, it reappeared. It's pretty consistent and repeatable. 6 hours later, it is still identifying itself as UPnP and working on Mezzmo and BubbleUPnP.

I guess I just won't shut it down or reboot.
Sounds like it might be an XBMC / UPnP issue rather than a ChromeBox one
(2014-08-03, 04:44)Matt Devo Wrote: Sounds like it might be an XBMC / UPnP issue rather than a ChromeBox one

Agreed, just sounds like a bug.
In the off chance that someone is experiencing the same problem and stumbles across this thread, the solution is here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=203637&page=3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox and UPnP0