Get movie info without adding to library
Hi

I've been searching how to do this but can't find a solution

Is there a way I can get the movie info (plot cover, trailer, etc), automatically via XBMC, without the movie being added to the library?
no
You might be able to by customizing the default video nodes to exclude certain movies, but it wouldn't be completely automatic unless there's some common trait among the movies you want excluded (certain genres, directors, words in the title,...)

If there's no common trait you could just manually add a tag to the movies you want excluded, and have the video nodes filter on that tag.
There is not. I have two folders, in one I have the "library movies" (my all time favorites) and in the other I have "unwatched movies"

I was trying to get the movie data for the unwatched movies without messing up my collection
Why don't you scan them all into your library and then create a couple of Smart Playlists?
Curious to understand why you and others don't want to scan movies onto the library?
(2014-07-30, 12:34)prawnee Wrote: Why don't you scan them all into your library and then create a couple of Smart Playlists?

Thanks, I will check it out!

prawnee Wrote:Curious to understand why you and others don't want to scan movies onto the library?

Well, like I said, I do have scanned movies onto the library, but only my favorite movies collection

Sometimes I add a couple movies to my HTPC on a separated folder to watch latter. This are the ones I don't want mixed on the library.

I use separated path on the Home menu:
Movies->Library
Video->New movies

With this I get a clean and nice "show off" library and the new added movies are all together and easy to find. Just missing the info...
(2014-07-30, 00:21)Ned Scott Wrote: no
Wouldn't Custom video entries do it for him?
Again, curiosity has got the better of me... so please do not read my comments as condescending, sarcastic or derogatory in any way.

Why can't you add the movies to the library then, if you don't want to keep the movie, just delete the movie off the hard disk, remove the entry out of the library... and just run "clean database" in the systems menu... and, depending upon how many movies you have and delete, once or twice a year delete all the thumbnails and texture.db file and let the library rebuild itself?

What is it that you are trying to avoid happening to your library?

And yes, I know I am not answering your original question, but in a roundabout way I think that it has already been answered.
(2014-07-31, 04:48)blossom24 Wrote: Again, curiosity has got the better of me... so please do not read my comments as condescending, sarcastic or derogatory in any way.

Why can't you add the movies to the library then, if you don't want to keep the movie, just delete the movie off the hard disk, remove the entry out of the library... and just run "clean database" in the systems menu... and, depending upon how many movies you have and delete, once or twice a year delete all the thumbnails and texture.db file and let the library rebuild itself?

And yes, I know I am not answering your original question, but in a roundabout way I think that it has already been answered.

This x1000. There is no reason to not have all the movies in your collection, you can always remove them from the library if you don't want them. The library also keeps track of watched status, so no need for separate folders for that.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-07-31, 01:01)wpbpete Wrote:
(2014-07-30, 00:21)Ned Scott Wrote: no
Wouldn't Custom video entries do it for him?

Those still get added to the library.

OP should just separate the library using things like video nodes (wiki), video tags (wiki), smart playlists (wiki), etc. Tie it all up with a nice skin that supports custom home items (wiki).
I can sort of understand why the OP wants the 'best' movies (or keepers) in his library, with new ones separated...in fact, I quite like the idea.

The way I would do it though is to having something like Ember scraping the info, artwork and trailers and so on for the folder of directories not in the movie library...then he can access them via the Videos node separate from his main library.

I think that'd work...
(2014-07-30, 18:35)Gogan Wrote: Well, like I said, I do have scanned movies onto the library, but only my favorite movies collection

Sometimes I add a couple movies to my HTPC on a separated folder to watch latter. This are the ones I don't want mixed on the library.

I use separated path on the Home menu:
Movies->Library
Video->New movies

With this I get a clean and nice "show off" library and the new added movies are all together and easy to find. Just missing the info...

Why don´t you use different profiles for this? With this, you will still add those movies in "a" library, but not in your main library. If you want to remove them from your library again you only need to remove the source and everything is done
Movie Sets would also be helpful here. You could create a movie set named e.g "Other Stuff" and use the Manage feature of the context menu to move these odd movie there. This way, the Good Stuff is displayed along with one folder of "Other Stuff".
Quote ronie: "Estuary is a giant piece of crap." Looking for a new quote. Ideas?
(2014-07-31, 04:48)blossom24 Wrote: Again, curiosity has got the better of me... so please do not read my comments as condescending, sarcastic or derogatory in any way.

That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. This happens very frequently and it's a pain in the *** to go by the library trying to find all the movies I want to delete.

Maybe I'm being too stingy but it does not make sense to me. I think there could be an easier and simpler way to do it instead of creating video nodes, video tags or smart playlists. Maybe a check box on the Set Content menu like "Get info without adding to library". Technically I think it should not be to difficult to create, just a automated scraping (even if it misses a couple things, I would be happy with only poster and plot) and not add the movie to the library.

Maybe it's just me (or few), and I'm doing it the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I love XBMC, been using it for years, and apart from the (solved) movie set issue this is only thing that always bothered me.

JesusOnEez Wrote:I can sort of understand why the OP wants the 'best' movies (or keepers) in his library, with new ones separated...in fact, I quite like the idea.

The way I would do it though is to having something like Ember scraping the info, artwork and trailers and so on for the folder of directories not in the movie library...then he can access them via the Videos node separate from his main library.

I think that'd work...
Thanks

Had eared but never used it, I'm trying it right now and I think it would do the trick!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get movie info without adding to library0