Install 2nd XBMC without conflicts?
Could I install a second XBMC (or even more than this) without causing any conflicts with the other XBMCs on the same computer?
Newest stable Kodi (portable), Win 10 | skin: default Confluence
What operating system? As far as I know windows and Linux both support xbmc in portable mode which should do what you want.
If you launch each instance with the -p switch (portable) then userdata will be stored in the install directory so they won't conflict. If you do this try to avoid installing into Program Files as by default Windows won't allow writing to this directory
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Many thanks.

Win 7 I use.

Quote:If you launch each instance with the -p switch (portable) then userdata will be stored in the install directory so they won't conflict.
So I just have to install different XBMCs in different folders / pathes and after just start them with this "-p", that's it?

Quote:If you do this try to avoid installing into Program Files as by default Windows won't allow writing to this directory
So, do it like I meant above, but on another partition, drive, but C:.

And all of the add ons I wanted to try or use (in a single XBMC, not for all XBMCs) I would install (if they would not be in the repository, but e.g. a zip file)...how?

Many thanks again.
Install them as you usually do

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_zip_file
If you installed to c:\Xbmc then you would launch this instance with c:\Xbmc\XBMC.exe -p the user data for this instance would be in c:\Xbmc\portable_data

You can make a shortcut to c:\Xbmc\XBMC.exe then edit it to add the -p to the launch command then use the shortcut to start xbmc.

You can copy the xbmc folder to a different folder rather than going through the complete install for each instance
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Alright, many thanks, I have installed XBMC here I:\Programme\XBMC\XBMC using I:\Programme\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p used in a shortcut to launch. And I have copied the new XBMC folder to I:\Downloads\XBMC and made a new shortcut to launch XBMC in this folder: I:\Downloads\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p. After clicking one of the shortcuts, there shortly appears the skin (Aeon Nox, used in my old XBMC installed on CSmile for the new versions, hope that is alright and the new version is not affected by the old one and vice versa.

So as long as I have this -p option it will be / stay portable and if I remove -p it will behave like an installed version, I assume, and it will not be portable anymore.

And when I do a complete back up now of the XBMC folder (I:\Programme\XBMC\XBMC) I have (other than doing it for an installed version) the complete data of XBMC, no file missing, I assume.

So I can make my existing at C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC installed XBMC portable by using this -p value in a shortcut. Could I after doing that (and having at least one time started it) move this (now being portable) XBMC from C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC to another partition, hard disk, make a new shortcut and start it / use it e.g. here I:\Programme the way I did it before?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install 2nd XBMC without conflicts?0