Rasberry pi or bannana pi or humingborad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
yaqh Offline
Which one is the best to go for, basic xbmc needs.There are loads of these types of pi boards coming out so we spoilt with choice.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 14:34 by yaqh.)
find quote
noggin Offline
Posting Freak
Raspberry Pi is by far the best supported. It may not be the most powerful, but it has a "works out of the box" solution.

Hummingboard could be interesting - but is still quite leading edge. There are OpenElec builds for the Cubox-i, and the Hummingboard is very similar. (The irony that they made the Hummingboard case compatible with the Pi, and then the Pi B+ comes out with a new board design that means new cases...) You might want to look at the Cubox-i if you want a boxed solution?

Banana Pi is based on Allwinner chipset, which historically hasn't been well supported with OpenSource drivers - and those that were released had incomplete codec compatibility ISTR. There appears to be a renewed interest in the platform though.

Bottom line - Raspberry Pi works today and has huge amounts of support.
find quote
yaqh Offline
(Yesterday 14:38)noggin Wrote:  Raspberry Pi is by far the best supported. It may not be the most powerful, but it has a "works out of the box" solution.

Hummingboard could be interesting - but is still quite leading edge. There are OpenElec builds for the Cubox-i, and the Hummingboard is very similar. (The irony that they made the Hummingboard case compatible with the Pi, and then the Pi B+ comes out with a new board design that means new cases...) You might want to look at the Cubox-i if you want a boxed solution?

Banana Pi is based on Allwinner chipset, which historically hasn't been well supported with OpenSource drivers - and those that were released had incomplete codec compatibility ISTR. There appears to be a renewed interest in the platform though.

Bottom line - Raspberry Pi works today and has huge amounts of support.

so if you would choose out the box xbmc solution now, you would go with the pi+ over the others? even if they have better specs than pi?
find quote
noggin Offline
Posting Freak
Yes. I'd go with the Pi at the moment unless you enjoy tinkering or like being at the cutting edge.
find quote