Is DIY dead?
In the UK you get the best programming in the world, aka BBC, for free. Well, you pay the monthly tv license fee, but that's for all tv owners. And in return you get ad free tv.

You also get iPlayer. Yeah, I have zero sympathy for you Big Grin
ATX Builds For Lyfe. :V
(2014-08-07, 02:08)black_eagle Wrote: Ha, you should live in the UK. Sky TV currently costs me £62 per month, which is $104.50 USD. $1254 per year. My freeview tuners on the other hand, only cost the price of the tuners+TV Licence, which is £145.50 per year or $245.24 USD. They don't do HD though Sad

Also, a lot of our content is exclusive to Sky Sad

If you want Freeview HD then the August T210 tuners were available on Amazon for £30 - either from amazon.fr or amazon.co.uk. They are supported in current OpenElec builds - and I believe the V4L Media_Build also includes the patches to enable T2 support on them. They look to be up to £45 on amazon.co.uk at the moment, but still cheaper than the PCTV 290e/292e. Quick look suggests they are still €35 at amazon.es (which I think will ship to the UK - for some reason the same reseller's amazon.de store won't. I bought two at that price from the amazon.fr site 2 months ago)

In my experience the August tuners are slightly better performers than a PCTV 290e, and have an integrated standard RF connector rather than the delicate mini-connnector that the PCTV has (as it is too small for a regular connector).

I find I watch far more BBC/ITV/C4 content than I do Sky - but I do get annoyed that ITV2-4HD and the E4/More4HD stuff is Sky exclusive at the moment. (C4 are expected to change this at the end of their current Sky deal now they have 2 more Freeview HD slots, I doubt ITV will)
For me DIY isn't dead. My HTPC is a DIY box with a high-end, power sucking Radeon card to enable all the fancy processing madVR offers. My interest in XBMC on a NUC or Chromebox (still undecided on which I'm buying) is as a low power consumption audio playing appliance to replace an old school Roku Soundbridge M500. A NUC or similar "kit" appliance would only replace my HTPC when I no longer needed to be able to drop in physical media and it was capable of handling all the advanced scaling and processing features madVR offers. I don't think we're very close to that happening.
(2014-08-07, 02:50)DJ_Izumi Wrote: ATX Builds For Lyfe. :V

To expand on my silly post, since I like building big All In One boxes that'll even do Steam games and act like a console, DIY is what it is for me. That said, if just making a 'Dumb Box' to hook up to a TV and run XBMC, I can see a NUC or any of these Android things being pretty suitable. This is also why I'm running rather big and ugly ATX boxes, I'm opting for function over form. Smile
(2014-08-07, 01:54)MrCrispy Wrote:
(2014-08-06, 01:18)voip-ninja Wrote: All five of my TiVos, with lifetime service = $1500.

You must be an old customer or getting special pricing? From what I can see -

4 Mini's = 99 *4 = 400
Roamio = 400
Lifetime Roamio = 500
Lifetime Mini = 150 * 4 = 600

total cost = $1900

For a single 6 tuner Roamio its $300 + 500, $800 is a lot to spend in one go. I of course haven't factored in cost of resale of Tivo's. Actually after looking at this and features of Tivo, I'm wishing I'd gone this route instead Big Grin

There is a very widely available coupon code (people sell it on eBay or you can do some TiVo "sales training" and get it yourself for free) that will bring down the cost substantially. I just bought two Minis with lifetime for $175 a piece including shipping. I believe right now you could actually get Roamio Plus with lifetime and a couple of Minis with lifetime for about $900 which is a helluva deal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is DIY dead?0