Help with storage
Hi,

This is my current setup:
Downstairs in my livingroom a have a intel nuc with two external hard drives, where all my media is stored. My router is located upstairs.

I would like to store all my media on a nas instead, so that the media could be accessed from everywhere in the house. But i don't know where it should be located.The NUC is the main htpc so it's important that the streaming to it is flawless. The media is most 5gb mkv-files and i know that it is not that good to stream wirelessly.

Is it possible to have a NAS near the nuc in the living room. So that the NUC is connected to the NAS with a wire and then the NAS is connected to the router wirelessly?

Is there any better way?

Best regards,
Johan
Get powerline/homeplugs adapters if you cannot run ethernet and do not think wireless will be up the task.

You can stick the NAS where ever you like with those in place. Get 500mbps ones from Zyxel those are decent ones.

To squeeze as much performance as possible out of that set up you should probably get a NAS that can do NFS shares and works with XBMC like a Synology.
Believe Powerline converters can have issues in US houses due to the difference in domestic wiring compared to Europe (where they work well).

Think the issue is caused by the US system which usually has two separate 110V systems split from a single 220V incoming feed - with the Powerline stuff not travelling well between the two 110V splits, so if your two Powerline converters are on different 110V feeds you may get much poorer performance?

In Europe we usually feed the single 230V feed incoming around our entire home - so everything is effectively on the same system, and any limitations in connectivity are down to the quality of wiring.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with storage0