Pi Plus for 35.99$
i just got one from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
Free shipping? Nice!
YES, I ordered one. I would like to know what best to install os on a Pi??
For just XBMC, with no package manager, OpenELEC (wiki).
Worth knowing that the B+ has a slightly different Ethernet/USB implementation (as may some of the newer Bs). This means any distro you install needs to have recent firmware which supports the newer hardware. The latest OpenElecs do apparently. However other distros may not.

I've got a B+ running RasPBX - but a new build with B+ compatible firmware only appeared yesterday for it.

The new B+ board is a very neat evolution. The Ethernet socket now has activity LEDs in it, and having 4 USB sockets is a significant improvement, as is the MicroSD slot.
I have bought the NOOBS card. Would you recommend removing NOOBS and just install the latest openelec version.
(2014-08-01, 08:19)Mark142 Wrote: I have bought the NOOBS card. Would you recommend removing NOOBS and just install the latest openelec version.

If you want OpenElec - then yes. And it is very good on the Pi. If you change your mind then you can re-download NOOBs here : http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

If you get into OpenElec you may find a little bit of over clocking and migrating your local storage to a USB3 flash drive helps make things snappier (Although it will only run at USB2 speeds, USB3 sticks are often faster than USB2 models even over USB2)

Personally I've never used it - if I want Raspbian I download Raspbian, if I want OpenElec I download OpenElec etc.
You can install OpenELEC from NOOBS, too.
Anyone know if the Pi Plus suffers from the same bitrate limitations when streaming from a SAMBA share as the Model B?
(2014-08-03, 22:11)smitbret Wrote: Anyone know if the Pi Plus suffers from the same bitrate limitations when streaming from a SAMBA share as the Model B?

I have not seen any bitrate limitation with my rev2 B or my B+ when using SAMBA and my various video files. If someone wants to point me to a test file then I can see if it has an issue or not.
Try the Birds and HDDVD video tests from here

http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/
Nice find I've been on the fence 35.99 shipped 2 day delivery can't go wrong. I will be installing openelec.Only way to go.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2014-08-03, 22:11)smitbret Wrote: Anyone know if the Pi Plus suffers from the same bitrate limitations when streaming from a SAMBA share as the Model B?

Architecturally the B+ and the previous B are very similar. The ethernet and USB implementation has been tweaked a little when it comes to how their clocks are generated (which is why older firmwares don't have working Ethernet and USB) so if you install older OS images, but I don't think performance has changed much. The Ethernet and USB still share the same USB 2.0 bus AIUI.

Does using NFS solve the issues you have with SAMBA? (AIUI NFS has lower overheads so can be more effective in marginal situations? ISTR that Popcorn Hour media players were better with NFS than SAMBA for that reason)

(2014-08-04, 02:03)Topken Wrote: Try the Birds and HDDVD video tests from here

http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

It does stop to buffer a couple of times. It seems just right on the edge, because sometimes I can play it almost without buffering sometimes. This is with SAMBA. I'm betting NFS would be enough of an improvement to make it playable.
Thanks for digging into this, guys.

From everything I had read, it was limited to SAMBA shares. When I ran test clips through the network I would start getting the Freeze-Frame and stuttering between 30-35Mbps. If I plugged a Flash Drive in and played it back locally then it was fine well over 50Mbps. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled in Linux and don't have anything shared via NFS.

Sounds like it is still a limitation, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi Plus for 35.99$0