New AMD AM1 build
Hi, here is my new upgrade of old mediacenter after 6 years.
I have discarded case, psu and dvd drive. Only SSD and HDD remains :-)

Config is:
mobo: Asrock AM1H-ITX
RAM: 2GB Patriot 1333MHz
CPU: Athlon 5350 AM1
SSD: Kingston SNV425 64GB
HDD: WD 1TB caviar black
case: Silverstone Milo ML-04
psu: universal notebook power brick 90W

Software is OpenElec 4.0.7 with XBMC 13.1 Gotham.
Boot is very quick (about 15sec) and GUI is fluent, without lags or stuttering.
When playing Avatar 1080p bluray rip, the cpu is only 5-10% load.
Nice... Not considering a smaller case?
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I wanted the case that have dimensions roughly equal to my av receiver (about 440milimeters width). I was also surprised that the board is so small :-)
Well you'll certainly have lot of air circulating in that case. Wink
How does it handle everything? X264?
Yes, x264 is hardware accelerated. Under OpenElec, everything worked out of the box, installation was very fast and boot is about 10-15 seconds.
Bought the same cabinet, but a bigger board and CPU
Why mount the SSD there, when there's 4 'real' 2.5" mounting points? Huh
If I mount ssd to 2.5" position, then sata power cable would not be long enough to connect the ssd. The board have only one connector to that power cable and I do not want to add another cable :-)
Huh?

One bay is closer than the one you're using, and another is directly below the one you're using (you've the drive hanging by a side screw, one 2.5" bay is directly below that). The closer bay is on the plastic contraption at the front of the case.
A little overkill case but nice setup...
Just set up my am1 testing unit and getting 8sec boot to win 8.1, how did you make openelec so slow?
i have counted also bios time :-)
Hi.

I recently purchased the same MB/processor combo as you but had mega problems where I just couldn't install any operating System or boot any live distro.
I tried to boot linux mint, windows 7 and an OpenELC USB thumb drive install and they all exhibited the same problem.... stalled shortly after the first graphic appeared when booting.

The BIOS looked good, reporting no issues with the CPU or RAM. I obviously played around with this for some time without any luck.
In the end I've sent it all back to Amazon with replacements on the way.

Were there any specific bios changes you remember making which i may have missed?

Cheers
Nice setup, I have been considering an AM1 build for a while. Have you tried installing any linux distros to test the open source drivers? How well does it handle 3D playback?
Only linux I installed is OpenELEC distro. I dont have 3D TV so I not test 3D :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New AMD AM1 build0