WIFI, Accessing media on SMB Share Issue Using MySQL
Ok so I am having a problem that I am going to try to explain the best I can. I truly hope im posting this in the right spot if not I do apologize. First I will explain my setup and then I will explain my problem.

I have an Ubuntu server running XBMC, MySQL Database Server, and sharing my media on two samba shares. This machine is directly connected to my router via Ethernet cable. I have set up my Ubuntu server to use MySQL data base by putting advancedsettings.xml in the users directory and it reads to media from the samba shares. Now, I went to my windows workstation that is also connected directly to my router via Ethernet cable (I know this probably doesn't mean much to you but im telling you because its leading up to my problem please bear with me.). I installed XBMC on the work station and put the advancedsettings.xml in the users directory and it worked perfectly. I also purchased an Matricom G-Box Midnight 2 MX2 Box and again I directly connected it and loaded XBMC and put the advancedsettings.xml in the users directory and worked perfectly.

Now for my problem that you know my setup. I loaded XBMC on my sons Windows workstation that is wireless-N and added the advancedsettings.xml to the users directory. I started XBMC and It connected to the database and lists all of the media and information about the media properly but when I go to play the media I get a "Media not found do you want to remove this from you library screen". So I went back to my Matricom box and unplugged the Ethernet cable and started the WiFI and same thing I got my sons machine. I plugged the Ethernet cable back into the Matricom box and again it worked perfectly. I have shut down all firewalls, IPS, and IDS and still not working.

For some reason when I'm on WiFi with a device it will read the Database but cant find the media. If I go to the network directly on the wifi device and browse for the samba share I can see it and access it just fine with no issues. I can also directly click on the file and play it through VLC.

Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is anymore info you need please let me know and I will provide it!!!
Please help!!!
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
1. Make sure it's the right advancedsettings.xml. if it's a portable install, which userid it's under in windows etc.

2. There should be a sources.xml and mediasources.xml also in that userdata that reference the smb share.

3. Make sure to use IP based smb shares in the video sources. For some reason it takes longer to resolve host names.

4. Make sure you can browse to the smb shares from the client (windows in this case) computer. If it can't see the files neither can xbmc.

Other than that, I'm not sure, try bringing up the movie info and double checking the path to the file, perhaps ubuntu is resolving the network name back to a local drive specification when items are getting scanned into xbmc.

These are some things that I have done to troubleshoot my own shared xbmc system here at the house.

1 system with 11TB of storage acting as the smb share, main xbmc install, and mysql server. Each being used in xbmc by it's ip address. Each client computer (7 of them right now) has an install of xbmc, and a copy of the advancedsettings.xml, mediasources.xml, and sources.xml. I had to change the machine name in each xbmc client, because I just used portable installations on all of them and simply copied the install over on each of the clints. That and after adding a group of movies to xbmc's library on the server, doing a scan on that machine puts them in the library, I copy the Thumbnails.db to each of the client computer because the Thumbnails directory is redirected to an smb share on the server. I wish there was a way to redirect the thumbnails.db into mysql like the video and music databases, it would complete the shared setup without the need to copy the thumbnails.db to each system. If I don't copy this thumbnails.db to each system, each system builds it's own cache of thumbnails on the server, which is very redundant, and keeps me from having to build the cache on each machine. If anyone knows how to redirect the thumbnails.db into the mysql, please let me know, I'd love to have it set up that way.

Anyhow hope those steps help with figuring out your setup.
(2014-08-03, 07:09)spchtr Wrote: 1. Make sure it's the right advancedsettings.xml. if it's a portable install, which userid it's under in windows etc.

2. There should be a sources.xml and mediasources.xml also in that userdata that reference the smb share.
Wrong, not needed in a mySQL setup. Only the machine that does the scraping needs a sources.xml
Quote:3. Make sure to use IP based smb shares in the video sources. For some reason it takes longer to resolve host names.
IMHO a bad idea as you lose the whole point of naming your computers, the name remains the same while the IP address may change
Quote:4. Make sure you can browse to the smb shares from the client (windows in this case) computer. If it can't see the files neither can xbmc.

Other than that, I'm not sure, try bringing up the movie info and double checking the path to the file, perhaps ubuntu is resolving the network name back to a local drive specification when items are getting scanned into xbmc.

These are some things that I have done to troubleshoot my own shared xbmc system here at the house.

1 system with 11TB of storage acting as the smb share, main xbmc install, and mysql server. Each being used in xbmc by it's ip address. Each client computer (7 of them right now) has an install of xbmc, and a copy of the advancedsettings.xml, mediasources.xml, and sources.xml. I had to change the machine name in each xbmc client, because I just used portable installations on all of them and simply copied the install over on each of the clints. That and after adding a group of movies to xbmc's library on the server, doing a scan on that machine puts them in the library, I copy the Thumbnails.db to each of the client computer because the Thumbnails directory is redirected to an smb share on the server. I wish there was a way to redirect the thumbnails.db into mysql like the video and music databases, it would complete the shared setup without the need to copy the thumbnails.db to each system. If I don't copy this thumbnails.db to each system, each system builds it's own cache of thumbnails on the server, which is very redundant, and keeps me from having to build the cache on each machine. If anyone knows how to redirect the thumbnails.db into the mysql, please let me know, I'd love to have it set up that way.

Anyhow hope those steps help with figuring out your setup.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Strange on the sources one then, I could not get the clients on mine to find the files without the sources input on each machine.

So on the client machines it's not necessary to go into video and add the sources to the same smb shares as the scrapper? I'm not saying scrape them, but should the sources at least be in Video > Files ?

As to the use of ip addresses, that's one of the things I did on my network because name resolution was causing it to take a long time (20-30 minutes) to find the smb shares, which was simply not acceptable. If there's a way to speed up the name resolution, I'd be willing to give it a try, but this was what was suggested in these forums when I was trying to set mine up. Incidentally all my xbmc instances besides my phone are on a wired static ip network. It just speeds things up for me.
You only need sources if the machine in question is going to scrape.

Once the media is in the library, the path to the file is in the database.
Just curious what happens if one of my kids hits clean library on a system with no sources? Is this going to wipe out my database? Or does it just check against the database and accessibility of the smb share where the movies are stored?
Ok, just checked it, that's pretty cool then.

How about the textures.db?

Is there anyway to redirect this into the MySQL server as well?
(2014-08-03, 23:30)spchtr Wrote: Just curious what happens if one of my kids hits clean library on a system with no sources? Is this going to wipe out my database? Or does it just check against the database and accessibility of the smb share where the movies are stored?

I think that there are some added protections against this happening in Gotham.
Turns out it doesn't remove them so it must be checking against the database and smb access directly. It didn't flag any as missing.

Also yeah, when there's a missing movie and you're cleaning, it asks you if you want to delete the link in the database. Probably to protect from missing file shares due to one system offline. Gets a little annoying when you've got like 50-60 of them that you moved to a different place.

They also put the remove from library under a submenu of manage item, which was very helpful.

It doesn't keep someone from intentionally removing stuff, but it's a lot harder to claim it was an accident.
Thanks for your help all

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WIFI, Accessing media on SMB Share Issue Using MySQL0