Solved Synology NFS shares not working on Android or Windows (does work on Openelec)
Hi,

Thanks for the thump in the right direction. Appreciate your input. I has read the Synology section in your sig. I've looked through the whole thing now.

Once I find the resolution, I'll post it in here
Found the 'fix'

I had to do this in my Synology.

Go to File Station

Right click the Folder on my NAS, in this case 'Movies'
Properties
Click Permissions tab
Click Create (to create a permission)
User or group:'Everyone'
Then I ticked the 'Read' option, click Ok
Click Ok once more.

--

-

So the issue was local file permissions. I had read somewhere that NFS didn't need file permissions, so I then overlooked local permissions. What they meant was NFS doesn't need sharing permissions.

I hope this helps someone else Smile

Sometime this week I will screenshot every step I took.

-

My next thing on my todo list, set up library sharing through the Synology.

-Thanks for everyone's input in this thread
bledd,

I created this account just to say thank you.

I am running DSM 5 and could not get NFS to work. I was trying all sorts of things: changing 'insecure_locks' to just 'insecure' in /etc/exports, playing with squash mappings, playing with Security Settings in the NFS Permissions for a shared folder...all to no avail.

Then, I came across this thread. I know hindsight is always 20/20, but the solution makes perfect sense. All my user accounts could access my shared folders, but as you probably know, XBMC doesn't use user accounts or passwords for logins for NFS (see wiki). As such, the XBMC client couldn't browse my server. But, when changing to Everyone, as you illustrated so well, everything started working. So, thanks again.

-Q
this everyone shit which pops up everywhere is just wrong. Its the stupid nas manufacturers which present the nfs feature in a way that users think it uses usernames as authentcation. Its not about xbmc not using username and password for nfs - its that nfs doesn't work in that way. There are 2 levels which are required to be correct for nfs.
1. ip based security at the export/share level (tells the server which ip can connect to a exported folder)
2. uid mapping - tells the server how a remote uid is mapped to a local uid

from there on everything is normal filesystem permissions which specify who can access what.

Its really frustrating that the nas guys don't get this easily right.

Everyone makes it work - yeah - but better would be to expose the uid mapping in the nas settings which wouldn't totally destroy the fine grained filesystem permissions...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Only just saw your response.

This fix does go against everything I read about NFS, so it's a Synology issue.

Also reported it on their forums, whether it gets noticed or not is another matter.

Thanks for the help in the thread. Very informative and patient with questions that must crop up often.
Hi,

I am having a similar issue. Really could use some help.

As you can see in the log I am running XBMC on my OUYA and it is NOT able to access shares from my ArchLinux ARM Box.

OUYA running XBMC is the only device that is having this problem. Many other devices, around, 50 can access my NFS share just fine. Even my POS Boxee Box can access it fine.

Full log is @ http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=300177

Important part is below:

Code:
00:31:40 T:1837438320   DEBUG: NFS: Context for 192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share not open - get a new context.
00:31:40 T:1837438320   DEBUG: NFS: Connected to server 192.168.10.181 and export /srv/nfs4/share
00:31:40 T:1837438320   DEBUG: NFS: chunks: r/w 16384/16384
00:31:40 T:1837438320   ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of // failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"
00:31:40 T:1687944664   ERROR: static bool XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory(const CURL&, CFileItemList&, const XFILE::CDirectory::CHints&, bool) - Error getting nfs://192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share/
00:31:40 T:1687944664   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share/) failed
00:31:44 T:1837934480   ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of // failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"
00:31:44 T:1687944664   ERROR: static bool XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory(const CURL&, CFileItemList&, const XFILE::CDirectory::CHints&, bool) - Error getting nfs://192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share/
00:31:44 T:1687944664   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share/) failed
00:31:46 T:1836842008   ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of // failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"
00:31:46 T:1687944664   ERROR: static bool XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory(const CURL&, CFileItemList&, const XFILE::CDirectory::CHints&, bool) - Error getting nfs://192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share/
00:31:46 T:1687944664   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.10.181/srv/nfs4/share/) failed

BTW the UI in XBMC does NOT give any error at all when I try and access the share. Thus, why I tried 3 times.

Should tell the user something when this error occurs.

/etc/exports:
Quote:/srv/nfs4/share 192.168.10.0/24(async,anongid=1000,anonuid=1000,insecure,rw,no_subtree_check,nohide)
I use this account for all network related services including NFS Server 3.

Correct chown of all shared files and folders is already set to correct uid of 1,000:
Quote:ls -l /srv/nfs4/
total 4
drwxrwx--T 11 rob rob 4096 Sep 22 01:49 share
[root@seagate2 ~]# id rob
uid=1000(rob) gid=1000(rob) groups=1000(rob)
And again, the only device having trouble accessing this NFS Server is my OYUA running XBMC.

Thanks for the help,

Will

Update: all_squash does indeed fix it. Smile

Switched /etc/exports:
Quote:/srv/nfs4/share 192.168.10.0/24(rw,anongid=1000,anonuid=1000,all_squash,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,async)
Very strange fix though since all my other devices could access the share just fine. Very odd indeed.

Again, please someone submit a patch to give the user some sort of feedback when this error happens. Instead of just leaving the user guessing what is wrong when nothing seems to happen when the user clicks to open the share.

OH well it works, I will take it.

Thanks a ton!! Big Grin

And would be nice if I could browse NFS shares by host name and not just by IP Address. Learned that 1 the heard way last week when I had to redo my entire IP Scheme and then broke all the shares of course.

Update 2: XBMC just locked up on me trying to read the share: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=300211

UGH!! Well crap log is useless since it only got the log after the reboot after the crash. Damn it! And share is still locking it up. It worked 1 time and now locking up.

Update 3: OK looks like XBMC is crashing the NFS server. Ouch!

Since if I restart my NFS Server on the ArchLinux box then I can browse the share again. But a minute later it crashes and then XBMC will lock up again if I try and browse the NFS share.

Of course, XMBC should not lock up (crash), instead should give the user some sort of error.

And not sure how I can get the XMBC log file of my OYUA since the log seems to be whipped out on the crash and the next reboot.
Hi all,

I really think something is wrong on xbmc.
I moved my all movies and tv-shows from on synology to a new one. I updated the mysql db like described on the wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...s_In_MySQL).
I set my nfs on the synology server like taht:
/volume1/video *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,all_squash,no_subtree_check,sec=sys,anonuid=1024,anongid=100)

Now when I let the cleanup library run it does errase al the content settings and I am loosing all my movies and tvshows.
I even tried on smb same trouble, now I set it up with sftp and it work well....
I got also this error on the xbmc log:
NFS: Context for MYNAS_IP/volume1/video not open - get a new context.

I look deeper to see if I find something about that... but it is odd, don't you think?

Regards
Chris
No - whenever someone suspected that something is wrong with XBMCs nfs client i figured a configuration issue on the server side - so while there is a chance that you spotted a bug it is still more common that it is a configuration error.

debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hi Memphiz,

Thanks for the answer, it might be on the server side, I will no pretend that it is not possible. The weird thing is that i have my thumbnails on the same NAS over NFS (Apple TV2 has not much free space):
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>NFS://user:password@nas_ip/volume1/video/Adult/Thumbnails</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
and this seems to work like a charm.

The only major change to my old working config is that I moved my source to another NAS and I looked at the /etc/exports and it look good to me.
Some change on Synology could lead to this problem, fact is that I use now sftp and it is working flawlessly.

I will keep on eyes on forums and maybe retry later on with NFS on the new NAS.

Again thanks a lot for your answer.

Best Regards
Chris
nfs is not only about /etc/exports - its totally about filesystem permissions too - while /volume1/video/Adult/Thumbnails might have the correct fs permissions set - your other exports might not.
Hi,

So SFTP solved my trouble but had issue with some movie (some freeze and bad sound). So I am getting back to NFS and have to investigate why the hell that is not working after I start a cleanup task in the system --> Video --> Clean Library it loose the content settings (TVshows, Movie..) and revert it to none settings.

I checked my fs permissions and it is right.

I modified now my share definitions in the source.xml:
From
nfs://NAS_IP/volume1/video/Adult/Movies/
to
nfs://user:password@NAS_IP/volume1/video/Adult/Movies/

Keep on trying....

Reagrds
Chris
nfs has no user password... i still think th fs permissions are wrong
I think you are right Memphiz! My Raspberry Pi works great with the NFS settings, but my Windows7 is still not connecting. I activated NFS client in Windows (Configuration Panel-> Programs->Windows Features on/off->Services for NFS) and rebooted but unfortunately still no connection. Now I found out that the Windows Firewall is still on and I guess (and hope) that this is my last bump to flatten before it will work. I will post an update as soon as this is fixed (can't test it very quick because the SBS2011 server blocks the users to attempt to disable firewall so I have to change the GPO on this feature). Wink
Configuration Panel-> Programs->Windows Features on/off->Services for NFS <- this is not a client it is the nfs server of windows. You need to ensure that every connected uid to your nfs server is mapped to a known uid and all files and folders you wanna export have rights for this uid. XBMC on windows will connect with an fixed uid to your nfs server (65535 or so - doesn't matter if you configure your nfs server to do "all_squash").
I also joined just to say thanks to bledd his solution in post 17 solved my isseu (also with synology)
Thanks !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology NFS shares not working on Android or Windows (does work on Openelec)0