weird issue at boot
I've had this issue for couple of months but I just put up with it.

Running Raspberry Pi model B. On boot you have to wait about 40 seconds while the Pi does some things at start (and the CPU is at 100%). I normally get impatient and go to system -> information, after roughly 20 seconds after boot and check if the CPU has dropped from 100%. I've noticed if I go to early and check theres a longer waiting period before the CPU will go down. I've had instances that it doesnt go down and the Ram used starts increasing. Thats the main issue. Once It did this and the Ram used got upto 50%.

If I wait some more then check the CPU goes back to normal but the Ram used stays the same at whatever it got up to. But what is the Ram used for? once it did this and really got to about 50% (I've got 512mb)

I think I noticed this before once I migrated to gotham. Before that I did not see this behaviour.

so my issue is this. at boot if you go quickly into system information your CPU stays at 100% for quite a a while and the Ram starts to incrementally increase and never recovers back to about 12% even on idle.
I think this is just how xbmc works. When launched a lot of theads run and do housekeeping stuff.
All the installed add-ons get initialised, they check for updates and possibly do some initial work.

It typically takes about a minute for the high cpu to subside, but with many add-ons installed it can take longer, and it sometimes takes longer when an add-on API has changed and a lot of add-ons require updating.

The memory doesn't return to initial levels because add-ons are now running (and run forever).
Most add-ons tend to create a new thread, invoke python, run their init code, then mostly sleep (but get woken to do stuff on a timer or on other xbmc events).
thankyou popcornmix. always appreciate you sharing your knowledge! I thought as much that nothing can be done about it. Just means I'll have to wait and be patient. what if I carried on with doing whatever without actually looking at the bar to see the CPU. I was thinking that theres extra burden on the cpu to show the cpu % (in confluence) that sets of this memory leackage
Opening the System Information screen is likely to result in more CPU load than playing most video files. It takes a lot of CPU just to update the GUI, and the System Information screen updates the GUI very often (animating the bar etc.).

My advice would be to stay out of the System Information screen for 1-2 minutes until the initial load subsides, unless you want to wait even longer because you're actively monitoring (and thus increasing) the CPU load.

What about never turning off your Pi, is that an option? If not, then more patience...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
thanks Milhouse. I don't turn of because I want to. when the system crashes or my wifi starts playing up I reboot the Pi. Its only because I keep changing settings and power adapters. not the Pis fault. but your right, abit more patience. like 20 seconds will do Smile thanks ya all

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
weird issue at boot0