Volume changes
Hi All,

This is probably off topic, but I'm not sure where to start with it.

I use a dedicated XBMCbuntu machine running 13.1 beta1, plugged into a Marantz NR1403.

When different sources play (Live TV, DVD, etc), the Marantz display briefly shows things like "-11db", and the volume drops.

I'm assuming that the source has some sort of encoded level information, and I can't find a way of getting the amp to ignore it. Is there any way of stopping this from happening?

Simon.
There is no encoding information in the video itself that should effect your volume like that. Does your Marantz have a Dynamic Volume feature, If so try turning it off.
(2014-08-04, 03:51)Traker1001 Wrote: There is no encoding information in the video itself that should effect your volume like that. Does your Marantz have a Dynamic Volume feature, If so try turning it off.

Funnily enough, turning on the auto volume reverses the effect somewhat.

I've turned everything on and off, and the Marantz documentation doesn't mention it at all..

Oh well, guess I can live with it.

Cheers.

Simon.
(2014-08-15, 00:15)Simian Wrote: I've turned everything on and off, and the Marantz documentation doesn't mention it at all..

Ah. Finally found out what's going on - it's Dolby's "Dialog Normalization".

Which can't be turned off.

The metadata in the audio stream tells the amp what the dialog level is, and the amp changes the volume automatically.

So the stream says the dialog is 8dB above the normal level, and so the amp turns the volume down by 8dB, and then I reach for the remote and turn the volume up by 8dB.

I guess the normalization relies on the metadata being set against consistent reference...

Simon.
Yeah, I have the same Marantz. Documentation does mention it somewhere, albeit barely. Indeed it can't be turned off and my solution is the same as yours, just turn it up. Wink Only gripe I have with this AVR.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume changes0