Skinning project suggestion: Frontrow
hey there, if anyone has used frontrow for mac, they may well know that it is a wonderful ui, however the media interface itself is really let down by the limited features of frontrow.

i would love to make a frontrow theme for xbmc - however, im no good with xml coding or editing, but one thing i can do is graphics.

if anyone is unfamiliar with frontrow here is the ui:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8xffusa...h=frontrow

i would be really interested in bringing this to xbmc - if anyone would be willing to help, do the code work, and i do the graphics/visuals.

any help/info would be appreciated/support for this project

shane
something to play with!! granted i'm a skinning newb as well but i can find my way around code simple enough. drop me a pm and we'll see what we can see though my time at the momment is a bit streched we should be able to come up with something baseline to work on.
im hoping to do some stuff like this if the thumbpanel code or even the button scroller is redone after v2. as the current cvs cant do move and zoom in a 3d look way.
if it was allready possible then there were atleast some skins out there that would have got it by now, but since xbmc buttonscroller is kind of limited these days and doesn't do that kind of animation (only horizontal, vertical movements) we can only look at those nice images and wonder how cool it would be, but who knows maybe after feature freeze is ended we can move ahead and make it all work somehow,.. would be cool if they can add 2 new modes.. like 3dcircle, and another one along with horizontal, vertical.

and btw, it's not about doing some xml code, more like c++ code and some math..but the gui dev knows about it, he says "maybe" after ff, so who knows.. me personally would love to see this kind of stuff intergrated into xbmc skinning engine cause it's way smoother looking then what is currently possible.

i asked jm for some more options with the buttonscroller a while back and he was not to 'hip' on it.

i wanted some options where you could have a menu where you could set the image offset (# of pixels) individually depending on where it was in the order/list. then also have a size change depending on where it was.

this would allow some cool curves in the menu and also have the images seem to shrink/grow.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
okay, ive been away on holiday but ive managed to get this concept completed....all the graphics are complete, well atleast for a beta test build. right now we cannot have those 3d animations, however we can still use the limited animation that we have now, that is not an essential part of the skin..

so here is a concept..if anyone is at all up for coding all of this stuff, ive done 90% of the gui, drop a line.

wow nice Smile
Livingroom: MacMini Mid summer 2010 4Gb RAM HDMI to Pioneer PDP-434 Plasma 1080i
Kitchen: one xbox 1.1 executer 2.3 chip 120 GB in HD 720p mode
Bedroom: Computer Intel Quad 9400, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX260, Vista Ultimate 64, Ubuntu 10.10
thanks, just awaiting a coder now to put the jig-saw together, i really cannot look into it, ive got tonnes of college work to do, just like to say the entire concept is a clone of apples frontrow. not my personal design hehe
the reflections look pretty weird unreflected like that. i am really curious what becomes of this Smile
as of now nothing will come of it...no coders to do the coding part of the skin hehe
something like the playstation 3 gui would also be nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyd041cyyzc

i like these minimalistic gui's Smile
shaneuk Wrote:as of now nothing will come of it...no coders to do the coding part of the skin hehe

So there's no working skin? I was thinking about something similar since a lot time ago... (with more control on the "roulette", for example the Control Panel icon to access to Preferences or Apps Folder icon to access to programs...)
There's an XBMac skin that is very similar to this ... not sure if it's still being maintained.

If the author is too busy to keep it updated, maybe we can contact him to see if we can upload it to the XBMC Skinning Project in SourceForge. The skin could be worked on from there to add additional enhancements.

Spent half an hour looking at how it works and it does some interesting .XML swap-in-and-out that change some of the look and feel. Might be possible to incorporate a "Front Row" look and feel into it.

Just a thought,

KZ
And what about a iTV skin? I'm surprised anybody has sayed anything... Big Grin
El Piranna Wrote:And what about a iTV skin? I'm surprised anybody has sayed anything... Big Grin
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=547284

Rolleyes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skinning project suggestion: Frontrow0