Linux XBMC file associations.
I find I don't use XBMC (or should I say Kodi...) on the desktop unless I want to watch a movie etc, its easier to double click on a file and watch it in VLC - this attempts to solve that. This will add a new menu entry via a desktop file, XBMC-sendto, which will open XBMC or give it focus and open the media file. It works with audio, video and picture files that are local or on network shares (I've only tested with smb shares). This requires the program wmctrl to be installed and JSON-RPC to be enabled in XBMC.

The zip file contains two files. The kde-send-to-xbmc.sh file can be placed anywhere you like (don't forget to make it executable) and the xbmc-send2.desktop file needs to be placed in ~/.local/share/applications/. Then edit xbmc-send2.desktop and update the Exec= line to reflect where you put the sh file. If json-rpc uses a non-standard port or you want to send content to a remote xbmc host you need to edit kde-send-to-xbmc.sh. You may need to restart you desktop environment, although this was not necessary in KDE4. Now you will be able to open media files with XBMC directly from the desktop (you'll probably need to set XBMC-sendto as the default program for a particular file type).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2241...-0.0.1.zip

I have only tested this with KDE, I would like to hear if it works (or doesnt) with other DE's. Also the file types are wholesale borrowed from VLC/GIMP's dektop files, let me know if any are missing or incorrect.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux XBMC file associations.0