Dolby TrueHD option not available !
Hi all,

Who can help me?

My XBMC Gotham setup is as follows: Mac Mini (late 2013) >HDMI> DTS Capable receiver >HDMI> Plasma

However, I do not see the option "Dolby TrueHD capable receiver" in the audio settings. I'm in the Expert mode, yes Smile

I do have the option "DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver". I have checked both since my receiver can take both.

Many thanks.
If I understand correctly (big if Smile), Dolby TrueHD is not possible on a Mac due to hardware restrictions imposed by Apple. It will revert to Dolby 5.1. My guess is that it's a licensing thing maybe.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-08-03, 22:38)wgstarks Wrote: If I understand correctly (big if Smile), Dolby TrueHD is not possible on a Mac due to hardware restrictions imposed by Apple. It will revert to Dolby 5.1. My guess is that it's a licensing thing maybe.

It seems you're correct.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5003018?tstart=0

Will dive into this and let you all know. However, would be great if some experts can chime in here Smile
What wgstarks said. You might be able to gain hd audio with a different operating system like windows or linux - its more an operating system restriction then a hardware restriction...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-08-04, 01:02)Memphiz Wrote: What wgstarks said. You might be able to gain hd audio with a different operating system like windows or linux - its more an operating system restriction then a hardware restriction...

Yep, I have a 2011 Mini --- can confirm that HD audio works just fine with Ubuntu.

I still ended up switching back to OSX. It's just easier to work with. Plus, it depends on your sound system on whether you're really missing anything. As much as I'd like to admit that HD audio is clearly better, I don't think I could pass the Pepsi challenge.
Nvidia Shield
Apple TV 4
I also have a mac mini late 2012 and tried getting hd audio last saturday with a thunderbolt to hdmi cable.
Still no luck Confused
You're not going to get the HD audio formats, but if your file has it XBMC does a nice job at decoding it through software or whatever it does. I have a lot of my blu-rays dumped to storage. I can't hear the difference, and I have a nice speaker system. A lot of the HD audio stuff is placebo. The reason why OS X doesn't have these formats isn't necessarily because of licensing issues. It's because Apple sees them as pointless and not worth the effort when most people won't have speaker systems capable of playing it hooked up to a Mac and the people who do won't be able to tell the difference anyway. If it was something that was truly important to some people there'd be third party drivers of some kind to do it.
It is actually not normal that Apple does not natively support HD audio.
I doubt they will change their policy ...
One solution is to rip your blu-rays with makemkv and use the flac profile. This works perfectly.
(2014-08-14, 09:01)kharder Wrote: One solution is to rip your blu-rays with makemkv and use the flac profile. This works perfectly.

So are you saying that if I rip the blu-Ray movies using the FLAC profile and I go play back the movie with XBMC, true 7.1 HD audio (not 5.1 DD and DTS) will be passed through to the receiver under OSX?

Would I need to do anything different in XBMC for playback? In other words, would I have to select an option in the XBMC menus for FLAC?

Last question, will FLAC playback as 7.1 through optical digital connection or does it only work through HDMI audio?
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Short answer: No, you would not get Dolby TrueHD audio passed through by converting the soundtrack to FLAC. Although it is a "lossless" format that you can use provided you are using HDMI and have the requisite number of channels enabled via Audio MIDI setup and XBMC configured to output to those channels.

Long answer: The idea behind converting a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA track to FLAC is you'd then have a lossless track that you could run via LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 channels via HDMI. Your receiver would not see it as the former as it would at that point have been converted to a completely different lossless audio codec.

Furthermore Optical Digital connections aren't adequate for "lossless 7.1" audio (they don't have enough bandwidth to bitstream them apparently and also can only do up to 2 LPCM channels) and yes, you would need an HDMI audio connection and 7.1 channels enabled in Audio MIDI setup. If you ran the FLAC track via the optical cable it'd just be converted to Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 on the fly... which then you would be back to lossy.

You wouldn't have been able to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA via the optical cable even if Mac OS supported it. HDMI cables are required.

Lastly, the only reason you'd have to select an option in XBMC menus is if you included multiple audio tracks in your video. If FLAC is the only track you include in the MKV it'll just automatically play.
Why would you convert TrueHD to Flac? Decoding TrueHD gives you exactly the same result as decoding Flac.

EDIT: further it is pointless converting DTS-HD MA with makemkv. makemkv uses ffmpeg just like XBMC and ffmpeg currently can only decode the core of DTS-HD MA.
(2014-08-15, 18:49)FernetMenta Wrote: EDIT: further it is pointless converting DTS-HD MA with makemkv. makemkv uses ffmpeg just like XBMC and ffmpeg currently can only decode the core of DTS-HD MA.
As default yes but it can be made to work with the Arcsoft DTS-HD decoder which will produce a full 7.1 flac, see http://www.makemkv.com/dtshd/
(2014-08-15, 22:04)jjd-uk Wrote: As default yes but it can be made to work with the Arcsoft DTS-HD decoder which will produce a full 7.1 flac, see http://www.makemkv.com/dtshd/

Correct, if you are willing to pay $90 or leave the legal path Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby TrueHD option not available !0