No sound in OpenELEC but sound works fine in XBMCbuntu. Driver issue?
I have a Sony 5.1 Receiver that I would like to use the coax input on from my XBMC box (13.1 Gotham). I had XBMC and sound working yesterday with XBMCbuntu. I wanted to try out OpenELEC. I formatted my disk and installed. The only issue is that I cant get any sound. I've played with the settings and followed these links.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Audio_settings
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...tart_guide
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...leshooting

I used the exact same settings in System > Settings > System >Audio Output in both XBMCBuntu and OpenELEC. So my guess is that XBMCBuntu installs a driver that OpenELEC doesnt?

Below is my aplay -l output

Quote:# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 - IEC95 8]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Please post a link to a debug log (wiki) on pastebin and screenshots of your audio settings. You can get a screenshot by pressing the prtscr button on a keyboard.

When doing your debug log, set debugging, restart xbmc, start playing something. Stop playing it, close xbmc, then ssh into openelec and do
Code:
pastebin .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

I am almost certain openelec has a version of pastebin built in.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-04, 04:39)nickr Wrote: Please post a link to a debug log (wiki) on pastebin and screenshots of your audio settings. You can get a screenshot by pressing the prtscr button on a keyboard.

When doing your debug log, set debugging, restart xbmc, start playing something. Stop playing it, close xbmc, then ssh into openelec and do
Code:
pastebin .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

I am almost certain openelec has a version of pastebin built in.

Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/zNETL0Fu

Screenshots
picpaste.com/screenshot000-ZnI6Uj5j.png
picpaste.com/screenshot001-u2SVRUt6.png
picpaste.com/screenshot002-hIDvtB2z.png
Use the fourth option

NVidia CK804 - IEC958 S/PDIF
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Also this info just in case

aplay -L
http://sprunge.us/iahN

dmesg
http://sprunge.us/EEBI

(2014-08-04, 05:35)lrusak Wrote: Use the fourth option

NVidia CK804 - IEC958 S/PDIF

I've used them all of them and even went as far as rebooting after making each change, just to be sure. None of them work
What type of audio codec are you trying to play?

What are you using for audio settings? Can you take a screenshot?

That device is the only option,
m_sampleRates : 48000
m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-08-04, 05:44)lrusak Wrote: What type of audio codec are you trying to play?

What are you using for audio settings? Can you take a screenshot?

That device is the only option,
m_sampleRates : 48000
m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE

Are these not the right screenshots?
Screenshots
picpaste.com/screenshot000-ZnI6Uj5j.png
picpaste.com/screenshot001-u2SVRUt6.png
picpaste.com/screenshot002-hIDvtB2z.png

Im not too familiar with audio codecs so I dont quite understand your question. Im just trying to play anything on XBMC. Movies, Music, any stream at all. Nothing works. I decide to install XBMCBuntu again and sure enough the audio works just fine right from the start. Its only in Openelec that it doesnt work. Is is possible to copy drivers or settings from one to the other? How? I really like to use Openelec
Enable passthrough and set the passthrough device to be the same as the output device. NVidia CK804 - IEC958 S/PDIF
(2014-08-04, 06:13)lrusak Wrote: Enable passthrough and set the passthrough device to be the same as the output device. NVidia CK804 - IEC958 S/PDIF

That didn't work. I'm thinking I may just buy a sound card. Thanks for the suggestions. Just out of curiosity are there people around that I can pay to figure my specific sound issue out? I Figure I'm going to spend money either way. Sound card vs help
What system plugged (ie HDMI to TV, HDMI to amp to TV, SPDIF to amp, analogue out to amp/powered speakers etc)?

Cancel the above, just reread the first post.

Both output devices (the one at the top and the passthrough one) should be set to spdif.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I assume you have run alsamixer and made sure the spdif device isn't muted?

I don't know if this helps. A problem like this should have been fixed in the kernel and/or alsa ages ago, given that the chipset is now pretty old, and this wiki page was started in 2006, last edited 2010.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Enabling_nFor...DIF_output
maybe you have to check if the S/PDIF is enabled in the bios settings. Often the onboard audio is disabled if a HDMI gfx card is detected, or the bios decides to use the gfx output (hdmi) as the first available device and ignores the onboard.

Alsamixer would be a good choice, too. Don´t know if it´s possible to use this under openelec.

Greetings

Ignore that ^^....

Just reread the first post, and it works under XBMCbuntu, so it might not be the bios.

Maybe you could install XBMCbuntu on another HDD so we are able to compare logfiles and see, if something differs.
Yeah alsamixer doesn't seem to be on openelec, maybe one of their addons has it.
I just got Openelec running on my PC yesterday and the 5.1 sound did not work through the HDMI. I found out it isn't supported for my AMD mother board but I was still able to enable it by using the SPDIF option, the last one in the audio output device settings for my set up at least. It is found under settings/system/audio output in XBMC. Then I used the 5.1 setting just below that. Afterwards, while you start to play something, highlight the audio settings at the lower right with your remote or mouse or key board and choose the "enable passthrough" option, it worked for me. I just had to enable my stereo to receive digital sound by assigning the optical option in with that HDMI input. That's if you have HDMI video switching like I do. You might also check to make sure that you downloaded the right version of openelec for your system.
hdmi multi channel audio is supported for AMD gpus since kernel 3.13 ... provide the relevant debuglogs.

Optical can only du 2 channel pcm wise. AC3 and DTS are encoded surround signals that only need 2 pcm channels to send to the AVR which does the decoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound in OpenELEC but sound works fine in XBMCbuntu. Driver issue?0