What external hard drive should I get
I want to backup my 2tb of media onto an external hard drive. I am wondering what brand I should get? I was thinking about getting the WD My Book 3TB. It's $120 free shipping on eBay. I also noticed Seagate ones for less than $110. Also should I get 2 backup drives? My plan is to replace them every 5-7 years anyway to avoid losing my data.
What brand is going to be personal taste really. Personally I have found WD to be the better choice. Someone else will say Seagate. If it's inside the budget, definitely get 2. The sage advice is, "Only one backup is no backup". The meaning being, if you have a drive failure, then your backup becomes your only copy, and there's no longer a backup. If you have a friend/family member who can store one of them for you, that would give you an offsite backup in case of fire/natural disaster.
I agree with wd. I bought a seagate network drive once it was 20$ less, and it died within three hours. Took it back and got a wd. Never looked at seagate drives again.
I use WD reds for storage, and before those blacks, before that a multitude of brands. Only drive I've ever had die on me was an OCZ revodrive.

However I had 3 of those 2.5" WD passport things given to me for repair, the drives themselves were fine so I guess the ports / wiring had some issue. I also had a laptop come through with a 2.5" Seagate that shit itself after 12 months.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What external hard drive should I get0