WIP VPNicity - Beta Testers Wanted
Brand new VPN addon - who wants to do some beta testing?

About
There's a brand new VPN solution available that's been designed specifically with XBMC in mind and it uses some of the fastest, most reliable servers in the world. VPNicity is a totally legitimate service that can also be used in a traditional VPN manner as well as via the XBMC addon.

What is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an encrypted tunnel between two computers. When you connect to a VPN network you establish a secure connection to a remote server which serves as your portal to the internet. Your computer is assigned the IP address of your remote server, effectively cloaking your online identity and activities to your ISP, government or other 3rd parties.

Why use a VPN?
Stop your ISP from throttling YouTube, Netflix or other streaming services. If your ISP cannot see your traffic, they cannot throttle it.
Enjoy uncensored and unrestricted access to the entire internet. VPN servers evade all government and ISP censorship restrictions.
Keep your online activities 100% anonymous and avoid eavesdropping from governments and ISPs.
Access to your favorite content from anywhere on the globe (particularly popular with ex-pats wanting to watch geo-blocked content from abroad).
Remain anonymous from 3rd parties who monitor your online activities to harvest your personal information for sales & marketing..

Is using a VPN legal?
Yes it’s perfectly legal, everyone entitled to online anonymity and it’s highly recommended as it adds another level of security to your system.

What platform can I use it on?
We've spent many months getting everything setup and we're pleased to announce that the addon is compatible with almost every XBMC platform. It can also be used with the more traditional VPN methods but for now we're only looking for users to beta test functionality from within XBMC. Below is a list of platforms currently supported:

Windows XP (Frodo only)
Windows Vista/7/8
Mac OS X
Linux (all flavours)
OpenELEC
Raspbmc
Android - requires the tun module to be installed, some kernels have this pre-installed but if not then you'll need a rooted device to install it.

iOS - We are currently working on this platform, as of yet it's not supported but hopefully it's not far off!

How do I get involved in testing?
If you'd like to be involved in beta testing please PM whufclee with details of the XBMC devices you're able to test on. There are limited beta testing places so it will be first come first served but we would be very interested to hear from anyone with ATV or ATV2 devices.

Install Instructions
Once you've been accepted as a beta tester you'll be given a unique username and password, follow the instructions here for how to setup on your device. The addon is hosted on my github account which you can view here but we recommend using the version outlined in the install instructions.

Support
Although I'm the main coder of this addon whufclee will be dealing with the majority of the support questions. He's also been working closely with me on this for the past few months and is more than capable of answering any questions you have.
As Spoyser mentions above, there are limited spaces available for beta testing but we'd love to hear from you. Please PM me if you're interested in trying it out.

This new addon gives the end user a remarkably easy way to access VPN services - at the click of a button from within XBMC you can switch to the country of your choice. No more messing about with config files, it's literally a case of adding your username/password into the addon settings and installing the appropriate OpenVPN app then everything is controlled via the addon (or XBMC context menu if you wish).

Look forward to any feedback you can give. TIA
As a contributor to the code for this addon, I too can give support so I will be around to answer any questions etc.

I really hope you enjoy the functionality we have coded into the addon - it really does make using and setting up a VPN very easy... which was our ultimate goal.

Cheers

Rich.
We would like to thank everyone for getting in contact regarding the testing and we now have a full team of testers working on this so hopefully full public release shouldn't be too far away. I think I've managed to contact everyone that PM'd me but there was a lot to go through so if I've accidentally missed you out please accept my apologies.

You guys are great, thanks for all your support. With your help we should hopefully have something very special for public consumption very soon Smile
For anyone interested... Here is a video of the addon in action.

Some serious coding has gone into this and we hope you like it.

Beta testing is pretty much finished so we are not far away now.

Any questions... just ask.

Cheers

Rich

Looking great Smile

Is there any way to test speeds again the servers/datacenter?
Maybe even before paying up?

I'm on 75/75Mbit here.

Have tstet quite a few VPNs like, overplay,purevpn, vypr, vanish and speeds can be very different

But noone is as easy as VPNicity for XBMC, thats for sure Smile.

Regards

m
Nice, signed up for beta testing.
Hi everyone, well after some extensive testing over the past few weeks we're now pleased to announce VPNicity is now officially LIVE!

We hope you enjoy it's simplicity as much as we do, full VPN integration within XBMC/Kodi is something we've been after for a long time and we really are proud of this one - spoyser has done a tremendous job on coding the addon. You can grab the addon from spoysers repo (linked to in the OP) but full installation instruction can be found here.

Any compatibility reports can be posted on the wiki and are much appreciated, thank you Wink
As beta testing is now over and the service is live could a member of the admin team please lock this thread, I have created a new release thread here.

Thanks.
thread closed as requested.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VPNicity - Beta Testers Wanted1