AFTV + XBMC + Harmony Smart Control
So I answered my own question but thought I would post back here for others. This does appear to be the version. I was looking at what most folks here were running at it seems to be some version of 13.x I went ahead and upgraded and now my "OK" button functions properly. So if anyone runs into a similar my experience was to upgrade from XBMC/SPMC 12.4 to 13.3.2 (again this is the SPMC fork)
I got a 'cheap' Harmony 350 and a FLIRC. I've got some tuning to do with remapping of keys within kodi as you have all done, but so far most things work. I even mapped cntl-alt-del to the 'power' button.
(2014-10-05, 04:30)ChipsAhoy Wrote: here's the keyboard.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <Global>
    <keyboard>
      <up>Up</up>
      <down>Down</down>
      <left>Left</left>
      <right>Right</right>
      <enter>Select</enter>
      <menu>ContextMenu</menu>
      <play_pause>Play</play_pause>
      <backspace>Back</backspace>
      <rewind>PageUp</rewind>
      <fastforward>PageDown</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </Global>
  <Home>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>XBMC.Powerdown</menu>
    </keyboard>
  </Home>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <up>ChapterOrBigStepForward</up>
      <down>ChapterOrBigStepBack</down>
      <left>StepBack</left>
      <right>StepForward</right>
      <return>OSD</return>
      <menu>ShowSubtitles</menu>
      <play_pause>Play</play_pause>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <rewind>Rewind</rewind>
      <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <VideoMenu>
    <keyboard>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
    </keyboard>
  </VideoMenu>
</keymap>

Note the section in the middle: XBMC.Powerdown

That's the command that will reboot the FireTV

Chips,
Did you need to modify the Harmony software/remote mapping to get this to work, or does it simply work with the default FireTV device in the Harmony app?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin,

I made a few tweaks in the Harmony mapping, but none were essential to the XBMC keyboard.xml working as is. However, rebooting the FTV requires that it be rooted.
@chips - yup, I'm rooted.

A few questions...

1. Seems like many (DVR, etc) unmapped Harmony buttons take the FTV back to the launcher. This a pain. Anyway to stop this?
2. I want to map a Harmony button to Kodi's delete function - I watch a show and then immediate delete it. I'd like to use something like the RED button or such. What is the easiest way?

thx for the help!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin-

The confusing part of the Harmony setup is that while you have to initially use an iOS or Android app to get it going, in order to really customize the buttons, you need to use the MyHarmony app on a computer. From there, you can do things like customizing a button to return to XBMC from the FTV home screen, and making the channel up/down buttons scroll your lists by page. I've also added a few buttons that control my AV receiver functions while on the FTV/XBMC activity. Of course, you can also unmap any button that you'd prefer to do nothing on a particular activity.

I've got mine working extremely well, to the point where even my wife (a real technophobe) loves it.

HTH
(2015-02-12, 20:02)ChipsAhoy Wrote: Livin-

The confusing part of the Harmony setup is that while you have to initially use an iOS or Android app to get it going, in order to really customize the buttons, you need to use the MyHarmony app on a computer. From there, you can do things like customizing a button to return to XBMC from the FTV home screen, and making the channel up/down buttons scroll your lists by page. I've also added a few buttons that control my AV receiver functions while on the FTV/XBMC activity. Of course, you can also unmap any button that you'd prefer to do nothing on a particular activity.

I've got mine working extremely well, to the point where even my wife (a real technophobe) loves it.

HTH

I have a Harmony Touch and would love to have my channel buttons scroll by page, as you mentioned, but I can't figure it out. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
IDontExist-

I'm not familiar with the Touch, but if it works with the MyHarmony app similarly to the Smart Control, then you'd do it like so:

To scroll by page, you'll need to have a keyboard.xml file with <Global> having <rewind>PageUp</rewind> and <fastforward>PageDown</fastforward >. Then in MyHarmony app (assuming it works the same on the Touch), you would assign the channel up to rewind and the channel down to fast forward. You'll also want to override those in the keyboard.xml <FullscreenVideo> section with <rewind>Rewind</rewind> and <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward >, so that the controls behave as desired when you're actually watching a video.

These names may have changed in Kodi- I'm still running Gotham, so I haven't researched it, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

HTH
(2015-02-24, 20:07)ChipsAhoy Wrote: IDontExist-

I'm not familiar with the Touch, but if it works with the MyHarmony app similarly to the Smart Control, then you'd do it like so:

To scroll by page, you'll need to have a keyboard.xml file with <Global> having <rewind>PageUp</rewind> and <fastforward>PageDown</fastforward >. Then in MyHarmony app (assuming it works the same on the Touch), you would assign the channel up to rewind and the channel down to fast forward. You'll also want to override those in the keyboard.xml <FullscreenVideo> section with <rewind>Rewind</rewind> and <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward >, so that the controls behave as desired when you're actually watching a video.

These names may have changed in Kodi- I'm still running Gotham, so I haven't researched it, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

HTH

I'll try that when I get home - it definitely sounds like the solution. When I was briefly playing around with it last night, I saw that I could program ChUp and ChDown to RW/FF, but forgot about "linking" them via the keyboard.xml. In my (lame) defense, I had been running XBMC on my ATV2 for a couple of years, so forgot about the keyboard.xml "hacking" that could be necessary. Thanks for the quick reply!
I just wanted to chime in here.

If you feel limited to the number of buttons available on the original FireTV remote, it's possible to pair your Harmony with your FireTV in a way, that allows you to use the Windows (or OSX) actions available in the Harmony setup.

To do this, simply sideload settings.apk (found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2714494), and follow the instructions. Works a charm, and allows you to use all the nice buttons on the Harmony Smart Remote.

I'm not sure wether this requires root or not, though, but it works just great! Smile Just takes a little looking in the Kodi debug log, to find out what buttons are what.
(2015-02-27, 23:45)freaktm Wrote: I just wanted to chime in here.

If you feel limited to the number of buttons available on the original FireTV remote, it's possible to pair your Harmony with your FireTV in a way, that allows you to use the Windows (or OSX) actions available in the Harmony setup.

To do this, simply sideload settings.apk (found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2714494), and follow the instructions. Works a charm, and allows you to use all the nice buttons on the Harmony Smart Remote.

I'm not sure wether this requires root or not, though, but it works just great! Smile Just takes a little looking in the Kodi debug log, to find out what buttons are what.

That looks neat, but I might just wait until I get my Neeo which will be able to communicate via http..unless there's a walkthrough for using settings.apk with a harmony? Smile
If you have a bluetooth-enabled harmony, I don't think you need to use any 3rd party apk.
Just add a "Logitech Harmony keyboard" (don't remember the actual name) device to your harmony, and pair it with the AFTV.

I didi it vs. an ADT-1 and works like a charm.
(2015-02-28, 10:54)Koying Wrote: If you have a bluetooth-enabled harmony, I don't think you need to use any 3rd party apk.
Just add a "Logitech Harmony keyboard" (don't remember the actual name) device to your harmony, and pair it with the AFTV.

I didi it vs. an ADT-1 and works like a charm.

Yes, the Logitech Smart Keyboard works great with the AFTV and XBMC. Neat that other Bluetooth keyboards also work. The keyboards let you send numeric values but unfortunately the Smart Remote from Logitech won't. Sounds like the settings app might be a way around this.
I'm confused. If I add a "Logitech Smart Keyboard" (could it possibly be the Microsoft MCE Keyboard?) to my Harmony remote, how do I then pair it with the AFTV? If I try to discover a new controller, the AFTV doesn't see anything, and I can't figure out any other way. What am I missing?
(2015-03-02, 06:06)IDontExist Wrote: I'm confused. If I add a "Logitech Smart Keyboard" (could it possibly be the Microsoft MCE Keyboard?) to my Harmony remote, how do I then pair it with the AFTV? If I try to discover a new controller, the AFTV doesn't see anything, and I can't figure out any other way. What am I missing?

That's what I experienced as well... When adding anything but the Amazon FireTV Remote to the Harmony setup, the FireTV would not pair with it.

But when sideloading the settings.apk it paired right away.

Sideloading it is no different than sideloading the Kodi apk.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV + XBMC + Harmony Smart Control1