AFTV + XBMC + Harmony Smart Control
(2015-03-02, 10:00)freaktm Wrote:
(2015-03-02, 06:06)IDontExist Wrote: I'm confused. If I add a "Logitech Smart Keyboard" (could it possibly be the Microsoft MCE Keyboard?) to my Harmony remote, how do I then pair it with the AFTV? If I try to discover a new controller, the AFTV doesn't see anything, and I can't figure out any other way. What am I missing?

That's what I experienced as well... When adding anything but the Amazon FireTV Remote to the Harmony setup, the FireTV would not pair with it.

But when sideloading the settings.apk it paired right away.

Sideloading it is no different than sideloading the Kodi apk.

Ok, I'll give that a try tonight. I don't have high hopes...expect another "help" post soon Smile
I sideloaded settings.apk, and tried to pair a new device (both with the Fire's built-in "Add Controller" and within the Settings app itself, but no new device is showing up. Am I missing something else?

Thank again for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated Smile
I just added a Windows PC device in my harmony settings (on the mobile app), and when that was trying to pair, I opened the settings app on the firetv, where both the Amazon FireTV remote and the "Windows" remote now showed up. Then I could easily pair the windows remote aswell.
(2015-03-03, 15:46)freaktm Wrote: I just added a Windows PC device in my harmony settings (on the mobile app), and when that was trying to pair, I opened the settings app on the firetv, where both the Amazon FireTV remote and the "Windows" remote now showed up. Then I could easily pair the windows remote aswell.

In my Harmony app:

1. Tap on the three lines
  2. Harmony Setup
  3. Add/Edit Devices & Activities
  4. Devices
  5. Add Device
  6. Computer (?)
  7. Windows (?)

After the device is added successfully, I tried going into the Settings app, then bluetooth, but I only see "Amazon Fire TV Remote" and "Harmony FireTV Controller"...nothing new. Please help?? Smile
Hm, I guess that after adding the device (which you are doing correctly), you need to set up an activity, which will start the pairing process.. I guess - I honestly can't remember for sure Big Grin

You need to try to get the Harmony app to start pairing with the new Windows remote..
Hi,
did anybody manage to get the "numbers" working in kodi using the Smart remote from Logitech?
I was bothered by the fact there was no working stop button. The stop button on my harmony home control remote functioned as a back button leaving the video or music file playing in the background. It was then a pain to go back to full screen and stop it via the gui.

What I did as a workaround was create a sequence in the harmony software that consisted of "ok" "ok" on the Amazon Fire TV remote. Now when I press it it brings up the control gui (first "ok") and then selects the last used gui button (second "ok"). I don't really use the gui controls for much so as long as I leave it on the stop button pressing the stop button on my remote now works as an effective stop button.
i too had the same issues many discussed here. at one point i went back to using flirc that was pretty awesome but then the double key press issue was bothering me even after trying many solutions discussed.
finally i figured out the best setting that gives me the options/controls i needed.

in harmony:
1) add device amazon fire tv (bluetooth)
2) add windows PC (bluetooth)
create activity "watch fire tv" using both the devices
for buttons mapping, keep the basic media controls to FireTV (except stop button). For stop button, use the computer device and select "Stop" activity. map any other key you need (eg. subtitle) to any unused function from computer device.
use the harmony app in device mode, select each device created and press any key and it will prompt to pair the device with FireTV. go ahead and pair it as given.

in kodi:
i used keymap editor addon (http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor) to map the extra keys i assigned.

all works perfectly now. hope this helps.
(2015-03-28, 10:45)Liquidtouch Wrote: I was bothered by the fact there was no working stop button. The stop button on my harmony home control remote functioned as a back button leaving the video or music file playing in the background. It was then a pain to go back to full screen and stop it via the gui.

What I did as a workaround was create a sequence in the harmony software that consisted of "ok" "ok" on the Amazon Fire TV remote. Now when I press it it brings up the control gui (first "ok") and then selects the last used gui button (second "ok"). I don't really use the gui controls for much so as long as I leave it on the stop button pressing the stop button on my remote now works as an effective stop button.

Just download addon from kodi repository "Keymap editor", launch it, then go to Edit>Full screen video>Playback, then Edit the "Stop" in there and assign the "Exit" or "Stop" from the Harmony remote, that will Stop the video whenever you press Back on either the Harmony or Original Fire TV remote.
(2015-03-31, 01:56)alpha.s Wrote: i too had the same issues many discussed here. at one point i went back to using flirc that was pretty awesome but then the double key press issue was bothering me even after trying many solutions discussed.
finally i figured out the best setting that gives me the options/controls i needed.

in harmony:
1) add device amazon fire tv (bluetooth)
2) add windows PC (bluetooth)
create activity "watch fire tv" using both the devices
for buttons mapping, keep the basic media controls to FireTV (except stop button). For stop button, use the computer device and select "Stop" activity. map any other key you need (eg. subtitle) to any unused function from computer device.
use the harmony app in device mode, select each device created and press any key and it will prompt to pair the device with FireTV. go ahead and pair it as given.

in kodi:
i used keymap editor addon (http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor) to map the extra keys i assigned.

all works perfectly now. hope this helps.

Can you please provide some more information on how exactly you added the Windows PC (Bluetooth) to the Harmony software? I cannot seem to find a Device of that name, tried tons of combinations for Manufacturer and Model Number (thats how my Harmony software searches for devices).

I have a Microsoft MCE keyboard device, but when I map those keys in the Amazon Fire TV activity, they don't seem to do anything. I'm so close to getting this working. I have a Logitech K400 keyboard plugged into the FireTV that works and controls it PERFECTLY. However, I cannot seem to replicate those commands (such as ESC to go to Kodi Home Menu or I for Information) by mapping those keys in my activity.

Any help from some users here would be greatly appreciated so I can truly unlock the potential of this awesome FireTV / Kodi / Harmony combination. Thanks!!
(2015-05-07, 17:28)bbarber4 Wrote: Can you please provide some more information on how exactly you added the Windows PC (Bluetooth) to the Harmony software? I cannot seem to find a Device of that name, tried tons of combinations for Manufacturer and Model Number (thats how my Harmony software searches for devices).

I have a Microsoft MCE keyboard device, but when I map those keys in the Amazon Fire TV activity, they don't seem to do anything. I'm so close to getting this working. I have a Logitech K400 keyboard plugged into the FireTV that works and controls it PERFECTLY. However, I cannot seem to replicate those commands (such as ESC to go to Kodi Home Menu or I for Information) by mapping those keys in my activity.

Any help from some users here would be greatly appreciated so I can truly unlock the potential of this awesome FireTV / Kodi / Harmony combination. Thanks!!

do you have a harmony hub (supports bluetooth devices)? if thats what you have, then in the add device page, there is a separate button to add a windows pc. thats what i used.
(2015-05-08, 16:43)alpha.s Wrote:
(2015-05-07, 17:28)bbarber4 Wrote: Can you please provide some more information on how exactly you added the Windows PC (Bluetooth) to the Harmony software? I cannot seem to find a Device of that name, tried tons of combinations for Manufacturer and Model Number (thats how my Harmony software searches for devices).

do you have a harmony hub (supports bluetooth devices)? if thats what you have, then in the add device page, there is a separate button to add a windows pc. thats what i used.

Yes, I do have a Harmony Ultimate with the Hub, thanks very much for the suggestion that seems to have worked. In case anyone else has problems, you have to add the Windows PC to the Fire TV Activity, and then start the Fire TV activity from your smartphone (like you had to do originally for the FireTV) for the Bluetooth to pair up. That seemed to have fixed the connection issues.

However, the number of commands granted in the Windows PC device through Harmony is somewhat limited (does not have alphabetical chars (a,b,c,d etc). I tried several different methods to map Info, Blue, F1 etc all to display Information (Info) and then sent over to FireTV in a Keyboard.xml but no luck... I think there is something I'm not quite understanding with the relationship between the FireTV remote mapping & the standard keyboard mapping. If anyone has more info on how to solve for this, I'd appreciate it.

I was able to map Escape to 'Exit' and Stop to 'Stop' so that works. And then I just edited my original key mapping to have the FireTV Play/Pause button display information (when not in fullscreen video as I start videos by OK/Enter anyways). Seems to have done the trick for what I am looking to accomplish.

Overall - very happy with the Harmony Ultimate / FIreTV / Kodi combo. Its a very slick package that just simply works how it should every time
Anyone figure out how to use the Ch Up & Ch Down buttons for Kodi Page Up/Down during navigation?

I've tried a few things (Keymap addon & manual editing keymap.xml) and cannot get it to work.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2015-08-10, 16:31)Livin Wrote: Anyone figure out how to use the Ch Up & Ch Down buttons for Kodi Page Up/Down during navigation?

I've tried a few things (Keymap addon & manual editing keymap.xml) and cannot get it to work.

Yes, check out ChipsAhoy's post earlier in the thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1807504

basically, you map chup/chdown to fastforward/fastreverse (in the harmony app), then map fastforward/fastreverse to pageup/pagedown (within the kodi keymap)...this does not affect the regular fast-forward/rewind buttons
Soooo, at the risk of resurrecting an old thread, I find it is still relevant as I just acquired a Fire TV and this thread is the only place I could find that dealt with the issue at hand of granular control of Kodi on the AFTV.

I tried lots of these approaches.... but ultimately ended up adding a Windows PC as a Harmony Device. I never could get it working, but at one point I rebooted the Harmony hub and then everything worked great... I had already paired the Harmony with the AFTV, and I didn't have to do any further pairing, not did I need to install the settings.apk mentioned earlier in this thread.

At this point, I had lots of available commands to map to Kodi actions. The most crucial to me were the channel up/down buttons to use as Page Up/Down (I mapped them to the Windows PC Channel Up/Down commands) and being able to control toggling and selection of subtitles, which I did via "Subtitles" and "Aspect" commands mapped to "Show Subtitles" and "Next Subtitles" actions in Kodi (I did this using the key mapper addon).

One thing I never found a solution for in this thread was the "JumpSMS" feature in Kodi. This feature allows you to jump to a specific letter of the alphabet in a long list. So if I'm looking at a list of 300 musical artists, and I press the 4 button, I want to jump to the G's in the list. If I press the 4 button twice I want to jump to the H's, and if I press it three times I want to jump to the I's. If I press the 5 button, it similarly would take me to the J's, K's or L's. This is like olde school texting on flip phones.

I also coded the 1 button so it jumps from one letter to the next.

Here's how I did it. I assigned Windows PC keys of F1 - F9 to the Harmony buttons numbered 1 through 9. Then I created my keymap.xml file as follows:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
        <f1>nextletter</f1>
        <f2>jumpsms2</f2>
        <f3>jumpsms3</f3>
        <f4>jumpsms4</f4>
        <f5>jumpsms5</f5>
        <f6>jumpsms6</f6>
        <f7>jumpsms7</f7>
        <f8>jumpsms8</f8>
        <f9>jumpsms9</f9>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Hopefully this helps someone else out further down the line. Good luck!
And here's some further Kodi info on keymaps: http://kodi.wiki/view/keymap

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV + XBMC + Harmony Smart Control1