Req Additional Settings for "Play the next video automatically"
The "Play the Next Video Automatically" function is great, since a lot internal media players of TVs and consoles (PS3 got it more than a year after release!) are still missing such a fundamental function.
But it just doesn't make sense to have a function, which is used in every video part of XBMC/Kodi, since we utterly try to have every part look and behave differently.
Like my movies: I love it to have them sorted into sets, where it fits and/or see as much as possible fanart.
My TV series needs to show me the complete description of the episode I'm going to watch and a little screen of this episode.
And my music videos? Album art, video screenshot and only a little bit of text. You see what I mean.

And here we go back to "play the next video automatically" is working great in my music videos or in the file view, since most of the time, they are short, little files, which are in the folder, because they belong together.
TV series is great, most of the time aswell, since I want to watch multiple episode of the same show. But what happens, when I am falling asleep and I still have 22 episodes to watch? XBMC will continue and mark all of them watched, but I only got one or two of them at all. First thing, after waking up, will be to revert the watched state and find the episode I was falling asleep while watching.
And movies? Why do I have to tell you, that I (most of the time) don't want to watch the movie, which has been sorted into my database, after the movie I have been watched right now? I can understand, that I would make sense, when I am into a movie set, but most of the time, I am not.

So I would love to see additional settings for "play the next video automatically" as following:
Movies: - everytime | - only in sets | - never
TVSeries: - everytime | - only this season | - only X episodes | - never
MusicVideos: - everytime | - everytime (restart at the beginning, if reached the end) | - never
FileView: - everytime | - everytime (restart at the beginning, if reached the end) | - never

What do you think?
Should I open a ticket?
I think XBMC/Kodi can already work in your situation with the features it has now. Adding the settings as you describe would be an overly complicated solution to a simple problem.

Keep the "Play next video automatically" setting off and instead select movieset, tv show, tv season, or whatever, and press "play" instead of "select" on your remote. Now you have on-the-fly control of playing the next video automatically or not.

On top of that, you can turn off automatic watched marks, you can use the queue option to make an on-the-fly list of just a few episodes, and XBMC/Kodi has a custom sleep timer (accessible from the shutdown menu) that will stop playback as well.
I always thought, Kodis settings and the way of watching files with it, should be the easiest and user friendliest way possible.

My feature request would mean, that everybody had to set it one time (and you could also hide the additional settings in non expert mode) and than can enjoy all his files in the corresponding category without an additional hassle.

Also with your suggestion I always have to go a much longer way to watch my episodes (and I don't need the sleep timer, since Kodi will go into sleep aswell after 30 minutes doing nothing, and that would happen, when XBMC stops playback after 3 episodes... if I'm still awake, I could trigger another 3 episodes).

I wouldn't mind, if the setting, would be an as.xml only, but atm it's a pity that we have a "Play the Next Video Automatically" without additional settings, since we have a lot different databases, which need to be handled differently.

Thanks for your input and answering Ned.
Glad to see these suggested workarounds, as I am having similar frustration with "Music Videos" behaving like Music when they are really movies (concert videos) in my case. I'll see how the suggestions play in my living room, but I agree that more granular control in settings would be a welcome feature.
-- Steve

"I just wanted a media center, not a hobby!"

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
SW: OS - LibreELEC, Media Center - Kodi 18.5, Skin - Amber, PVR - TVHeadend
I as well like the suggestions in this post, they would be very helpful. Also, Is there a way to adjust the size or duration of the banner that pops up when this features is about to activate? I use this feature a lot and find that it blocks my content when viewing really short clips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Additional Settings for "Play the next video automatically"0