How to know external player is being used
So I have set up MPC-HC as my external player as described in the WIKI, but not sure it's working properly. Is there a way that I can show that XBMC is actually using the external player that I have specified in the playercorefactory.xml file?

I ask because movies played from desktop using MPC-HC are smooth but in XBMC seem jerky/drop frames.

Thanks!
You can check the xbmc log files to see if it switched to the external player
Try calling up the OSD (on screen display) while playing a file - if it appears your playing through xbmc, if it doesn't your playing via the external player.
(2014-08-08, 18:54)steelman1991 Wrote: Try calling up the OSD (on screen display) while playing a file - if it appears your playing through xbmc, if it doesn't your playing via the external player.

Do you mean just by pressing "enter" that brings up the play/pause/etc... at the bottom of the screen? Should I see controls for the external media player then?

Thanks!
(2014-10-09, 02:36)psionic1 Wrote:
(2014-08-08, 18:54)steelman1991 Wrote: Try calling up the OSD (on screen display) while playing a file - if it appears your playing through xbmc, if it doesn't your playing via the external player.

Do you mean just by pressing "enter" that brings up the play/pause/etc... at the bottom of the screen?

Should I see controls for the external media player then?

Thanks!

Yes - if they appear then you are using the internal player.

No - that's one of the disadvantages of using external players - that and losing the 'resume' function.
Ok, that;'s a bummer. Guess I will delve back into editing the XML file to get it working then.

But this brings up another question:
Is the internal player better or worse at buffering? I ask because I have a NAS drive, on my wired network that I am having buffering issues with. I assumed that a wired ethernet connection would be fast enough to stream 1080p rips, but still getting buffering and pausing issues that I don't have with hard drives installed in my HTPC. Kind of defeats the purpose of have a NAS for me.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to know external player is being used0