Linux XBMCBUNTU WIFI ISSUE (PLEASE HELP!!!)
(2014-08-09, 14:41)black_eagle Wrote: OK, try sudo modprobe ath5k again and when you get back to command prompt, do dmesg | tail and see if there are any messages in there regarding ath5k/modprobe. I had the exact same laptop here yesterday for repair, and it was definitely an Atheros Wireless chipset see http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/Atheros

Don't think it's n equipped though so probably not ath9k

EDIT

Just noticed you said it was a Broadcom chipset in your first post - So that above probably doesn't apply !! Doh !!
thanks just tried that anyway, how do i copy the result? the only paste option that works for me is shift+ins
ctrl + shift + c does not copy

any way there is nothing that menions ath5k in the message

ok so tried this

(2014-08-08, 21:11)jawilljr Wrote: Does this thread help?

Code:
sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
remove everthing it but could not find some directorys

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter
said firmware b43 is already newest version

i am going to cry Sad
dmesg | tail | pastebinit

Note - As you are new to Linux the '|' means send the result of a command to another command, so dmesg prints out the entire kernel message buffer, this is then 'piped' (thats the | bit) to tail which shows the last ten lines by default, the output of which is piped to pastebinit which will put the output onto pastebin.

It can be a little daunting at first, but it's a standard way of stringing together Linux commands to get useful output.

If it's a broadcom chipset, then

Code:
sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

Appears to be the recommended answer. You might also need
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Broadc...ireless%29 depending on what the first command on that page (the lspci bit) tells you.

Crying is banned !!!! Most stuff can be fixed, its just more difficult doing it remotely.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thank you for your help and explanation of pastebin

commands returned below messages

Code:
sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7999423

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
http://past.ubuntu.com/7999425

After running the below command i re did iwconfig and wlan0 has appeared Smile i must be heading in the right direction
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
http://pate.ubuntu.com/7999359/

i tried sudo ip link set wlan0 up to enable it but no luck, it just jumps to next command line

Please could you have a look
from the log all is fine - you fail to configure your wireless correctly - that's all - head over to ubuntu forums and see a starting guide.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
probably

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

try that
(2014-08-09, 17:50)black_eagle Wrote: probably

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

try that

Hi thank you for your response, this was the correct command but i have recieved the below response

SI0CSIFFLAGS: operation not possible due to rf-kill

I have read through the forum and i think that what this command is telling me is that the card is disabled via the switch on my laptop, but that switch isnt working with linux Sad

section 3.2 on this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDo...de/Drivers

now i am really stuck as it says the solution varies from different models and advises to search forums, which is kinda what ive been doing for days lol

thank you to everyone who has helped so far and managed to get me to this point

If there is any one out there with any idea as to how to resolve the rf kill problem on an acer 5715z please help
The switch is a physical switch - either on or off. If wifi won't come up, press it ONCE and then try again.

What does the output of rfkill list say ?
ok i installed rf kill through terminal, rfkill list then said hard kill on so ran command to turn all rf kill off

if all is correct now then i prsume the only thing left to do would be to configure the wifi network through network connections as it still only has the wired connection configured.

I opened network connections
clicked + and selected wifi from the connection type menu
left general tab as is
entered ssid of my router
mode: adhoc
bssid: left blank
device mac address: clicked drop down menu and chose the one that was there
cloned mac address: left blank
mtu: automatic

wifi security tab
security:wpa&wpa2 personal
password: entered hub password

ipv4 tab
method : shared to other computers

after that still no internet, am i configuring this wrong or is it likely i still have other issues?
Why adhoc? Choose the other one - infrastructure I think. Then use proper commandline tools to test like ifconfig, ping, traceroute etc
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi I have changed from adhoc to infrastructure was that the only setting I had incorrect?
Copy and paste the outcome of the following commands:

Code:
rfkill list
ifconfig wlan0
iwconfig wlan0
ping ipaddress of your router
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
[quote='nickr' pid='1769856' dateline='1407622571']
Copy and paste the outcome of the following commands:

[Code]rfkill list
HTTP://PASTE.UBUNTU.COM/8002412/

ifconfig wlan0
HTTP://PASTE.UBUNTU.COM/8002419/

iwconfig wlan0
HTTP://PASTE.UBUNTU.COM/8002433/
Your links are all fucked up, but I got there. You didn't run ping. You do seem to be connected. You have an IP address.
(2014-08-10, 00:52)nickr Wrote: Your links are all fucked up, but I got there. You didn't run ping. You do seem to be connected. You have an IP address.

Strang i can click on the links straight from the forum and go straight to the pageHuh?

i ran these while connected through wired connection
Yes but wlan0 has an IP address. You can see that can't you?

Also why the hell are you wanting wireless if you can run a wire?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBUNTU WIFI ISSUE (PLEASE HELP!!!)0