Rasberry pi+
ok i got pi.how do overclock it in openelec and how can test my internet connection.I am using wifi at the moment seems slow in places loading content. any ideas to make run better.
(2014-08-08, 08:52)yaqh Wrote: ok i got pi.how do overclock it in openelec and how can test my internet connection.I am using wifi at the moment seems slow in places loading content. any ideas to make run better.

If you google Rasperry pi openelec overclock you will find lots of information on this. I know RASPBMC has the facility within XBMC to overclock not sure openelec does but its really very easy!
ssh into Pi with Obviously change the IP address to the one of your Pi. When prompted for the password, its openelec

The file system is normally read only, so to edit the required file you need to remount it as read/write with
Code:
mount /flash -o remount,rw

To edit the config.txt file you use
Code:
nano /flash/config.txt

There are some settings in the file itself that you can use as a starting point.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-08, 10:37)black_eagle Wrote: ssh into Pi with Obviously change the IP address to the one of your Pi. When prompted for the password, its openelec

The file system is normally read only, so to edit the required file you need to remount it as read/write with
Code:
mount /flash -o remount,rw

To edit the config.txt file you use
Code:
nano /flash/config.txt

There are some settings in the file itself that you can use as a starting point.

Thanks but this sounds too over my head, is there a easy way in openelec?
(2014-08-08, 10:44)yaqh Wrote: Thanks but this sounds too over my head, is there a easy way in openelec?

You'd be using a Micro SD card to boot? You did set that up with your Windows PC? Or a different PC?

Can you read the content of the SD card with your PC? Is there a file called config.txt?

Look for the following lines:

Code:
# arm_freq=700
# core_freq=250
# sdram_freq=400
# over_voltage=0

These are your overclock settings. Uncomment and set as desired. Good suggestions should be in comments right above these entries.
(2014-08-08, 10:51)DocG Wrote:
(2014-08-08, 10:44)yaqh Wrote: Thanks but this sounds too over my head, is there a easy way in openelec?

You'd be using a Micro SD card to boot? You did set that up with your Windows PC? Or a different PC?

Can you read the content of the SD card with your PC? Is there a file called config.txt?

Code:
# arm_freq=700
# core_freq=250
# sdram_freq=400
# over_voltage=0

These are your overclock settings. Uncomment and set as desired. Good suggestions should be in comments right above these entries.

Yes i've got noobs card ,I will try it out later, what is safe overclock setting for Pi+ without killing it.
(2014-08-08, 10:55)yaqh Wrote:
(2014-08-08, 10:51)DocG Wrote:

Code:
# arm_freq=700
# core_freq=250
# sdram_freq=400
# over_voltage=0

Yes i've got noobs card ,I will try it out later, what is safe overclock setting for Pi+ without killing it.

Not sure about Noobs, instructions were for SD cards created based on instructions for a standalone OpenELEC install. Just look around as to whether you can find the according file. None of the suggested overclock settings should kill your Pi, but with some it may not be able to boot, or OpenELEC may become unstable during operation. Just have to try what works for you.
If your editing the file in windows make sure you use a text editor that can read it properly like notepad++. Other wise it will open the file as one big line of text. Below is a common overclock setting,
Code:
# Overclock mode settings.
#
# default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage
# no overclocking               :    700   |    250    |    400     |      0
# mode 'Modest'                 :    800   |    300    |    400     |      0
# mode 'Medium'                 :    900   |    333    |    450     |      2
# mode 'High'                   :    950   |    450    |    450     |      6
# mode 'Turbo'                  :   1000   |    500    |    500     |      6

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

# set to 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking (you can lose your warranty!)
  force_turbo=0

As you can see it has a table of values above it that you can use as a guide. the force_turbo= 0 means it overclocks dynamically. Changing 0 to 1 keeps it always overclocked. Its fine left at zero. Below is an example file that I used.

config.txt
(2014-08-08, 12:51)calev Wrote: If your editing the file in windows make sure you use a text editor that can read it properly like notepad++. Other wise it will open the file as one big line of text. Below is a common overclock setting,
Code:
# Overclock mode settings.
#
# default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage
# no overclocking               :    700   |    250    |    400     |      0
# mode 'Modest'                 :    800   |    300    |    400     |      0
# mode 'Medium'                 :    900   |    333    |    450     |      2
# mode 'High'                   :    950   |    450    |    450     |      6
# mode 'Turbo'                  :   1000   |    500    |    500     |      6

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

# set to 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking (you can lose your warranty!)
  force_turbo=0

As you can see it has a table of values above it that you can use as a guide. the force_turbo= 0 means it overclocks dynamically. Changing 0 to 1 keeps it always overclocked. Its fine left at zero. Below is an example file that I used.

config.txt

Thanks, Is this a safe setting for pi as I don't want too break it. basically find the file in openelec,open it in notepad++ and change the values to yours, how is your running, some people say it might mess up the sd card, another question how can test the internet on mines to see what speed I am getting on wifi?
try this

arm_freq=1150
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=8
over_voltage_sdram=4
initial_turbo=60
avoid_pwm_pll=1
force_turbo=1

also use this if your using HDMI
This is ULTIMATE SETTINGS. check if they work and you would notice an improvement
The setting above is safe. If you notice it restarting or freezing, you may have to lower the overclock. Sometimes a bad power supply can cause those problems as well. SD card issue is fixed, shouldn't be a problem but there is always a chance for corruption when restarting without properly shutting down. It runs much better with this overclock especially when streaming stuff. Don't really have a good recommendation for a speed test. You could transfer a file over samba to get a good idea.

Edit: meant the setting above media pi's. His setting is a little more intense and fewer pis are going to work with that setting. His will also lose your warranty.
(2014-08-08, 13:10)yaqh Wrote: Thanks, Is this a safe setting for pi as I don't want too break it. basically find the file in openelec,open it in notepad++ and change the values to yours, how is your running, some people say it might mess up the sd card, another question how can test the internet on mines to see what speed I am getting on wifi?

No Pi has ever been damaged through overclock, so you won't break anything. The worst that will happen is you get crashes.
If you get crashes, just reduce the numbers and try again.

There's a very small chance a crash at the wrong time might corrupt the sdcard, but again, that's not permanent.
Backup the sdcard before experimenting with overclock, and you can restore if there are problems.

You can test "raw" wifi speed using iperf (can be installed from openelec add-ons), or perhaps easier just copy a large file from server onto Pi using the exported SMB share (type \\192.168.1.100 into windows explorer, using the IP address of the Pi).
thanks for the recommendations guys, I was getting streaming issues when i tried it with xbmc and some streams where not playing, would it be better to use hard wired.
I think it is always better to use hardwired if you have that option.
(2014-08-08, 13:33)calev Wrote: The setting above is safe. If you notice it restarting or freezing, you may have to lower the overclock. Sometimes a bad power supply can cause those problems as well. SD card issue is fixed, shouldn't be a problem but there is always a chance for corruption when restarting without properly shutting down. It runs much better with this overclock especially when streaming stuff. Don't really have a good recommendation for a speed test. You could transfer a file over samba to get a good idea.

Edit: meant the setting above media pi's. His setting is a little more intense and fewer pis are going to work with that setting. His will also lose your warranty.

If I set the value to High instead of turbo do I still leave this line the same or change it?
force_turbo=0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rasberry pi+0