Rasberry pi+
Leave it alone !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-08, 13:41)yaqh Wrote: thanks for the recommendations guys, I was getting streaming issues when i tried it with xbmc and some streams where not playing, would it be better to use hard wired.

My view is wireless is never satisfactory for 1080p video (on any platform).
At best you get occasional buffering, but it's entirely dependent on other wireless equipment in your house, the microwave, neigbours use of wifi etc.

Use a wired cable and it just works.
warranty is for piece of mind. Me and almost everyone I know has forced turbo on and been running it for over a year, which is the period of the warranty I believe. I have complete faith in the Pis longevity. Its very well made.

plus I've pushed my Pi alot further than that and the worst case scenario was corrupted sdcard that I reformatted...thats all.

also it was fun learning and finding out your pis own limits.

at the end of the day its upto you but like I've said I've run at those speeds for over a year and no problems. I woudn't bother with warrenty. its not like its a £500+ smartphone, then I would be worried about warrenty

(2014-08-08, 13:50)popcornmix Wrote: My view is wireless is never satisfactory for 1080p video (on any platform).
At best you get occasional buffering, but it's entirely dependent on other wireless equipment in your house, the microwave, neigbours use of wifi etc.

I use the Pi 2 floors up, using a 300mbps (300 meter range) usb wifi and stream 1080p, I've had no problems. My brother uses the wifi next door with the same stick and thats two or maybe 3 brick walls the wifi has to penetrate and he says he gets no buffering.

these are extreme cases and it works. I dont really get everyone hating wifi. Especially on Pi. But it does depend on the Wifi stick
(2014-08-08, 14:17)MediaPi Wrote: warranty is for piece of mind. Me and almost everyone I know has forced turbo on and been running it for over a year, which is the period of the warranty I believe. I have complete faith in the Pis longevity. Its very well made.

plus I've pushed my Pi alot further than that and the worst case scenario was corrupted sdcard that I reformatted...thats all.

also it was fun learning and finding out your pis own limits.

at the end of the day its upto you but like I've said I've run at those speeds for over a year and no problems. I woudn't bother with warrenty. its not like its a £500+ smartphone, then I would be worried about warrenty

(2014-08-08, 13:50)popcornmix Wrote: My view is wireless is never satisfactory for 1080p video (on any platform).

I use the Pi 2 floors up, using a 300mbps (300 meter range) usb wifi and stream 1080p, I've had no problems. My brother uses the wifi next door with the same stick and thats two or maybe 3 brick walls the wifi has to penetrate and he says he gets no buffering.

these are extreme cases and it works. I dont really get everyone hating wifi. Especially on Pi. But it does depend on the Wifi stick

i've got standard one which says pi hut on it.

which xbmc are you guys using, which one would you say works the best for streaming content.

sorry for all the questions guys, as you can tell I am a newbie to this but want to get the best out of the pi.
Edited Wink
Learning Linux the hard way !!
first of all I would edit your post about na...x . Its not an addon tolerated here . second of all the Pi's been out for over 2 years. you would get more help and countless amazing advice by just using google. Everything you want to know will most likely already been asked.

dont worry about wifi, if you get buffering then worry about it and try wired.

when you get stuck then come back and ask. but whats the point. whenever I got a question I check google first and then ask here.
(2014-08-08, 14:36)MediaPi Wrote: first of all I would edit your post about na...x . Its not an addon tolerated here . second of all the Pi's been out for over 2 years. you would get more help and countless amazing advice by just using google. Everything you want to know will most likely already been asked.

dont worry about wifi, if you get buffering then worry about it and try wired.

when you get stuck then come back and ask. but whats the point. whenever I got a question I check google first and then ask here.

Yes sorry, It's just when i tried some streams it just froze the system so I had to do a hard reset.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rasberry pi+0